Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
X

Latest Announcements

Welcome to StarFox Galaxies. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you can view the forum but cannot post anywhere. If you join as a member, you gain full access to our community and are able to post to your heart's content. Please be advised that your account will be MANUALLY approved by an administrator, so you won't gain access instantaneously. Rest assured we're on the case though!

We welcome all new members and take them into our family's open arms. Have fun, and enjoy your stay.
~SFG Staff

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Steam's Database Hacked - Potential Credit Card Theft
Topic Started: Nov 10 2011, 09:57 PM (832 Views)
Evilwaffles
Member Avatar
Nhas berhu uhna'dha!
Gabe Newell announced today that Steam's database and forums have been hacked. According to Newell, Steam's forums were defaced earlier this week, and further investigation led to evidence that the hackers had obtained access to the Steam database.

"This database contained information including user names, hashed and salted passwords, game purchases, email addresses, billing addresses and encrypted credit card information," Newell wrote. "We do not have evidence that encrypted credit card numbers or personally identifying information were taken by the intruders, or that the protection on credit card numbers or passwords was cracked. We are still investigating."

While the hackers may have had access to the data, it isn't immediately clear how much information they actually took, or if any of it has been used.

"We don't have evidence of credit card misuse at this time," Newell added. "Nonetheless you should watch your credit card activity and statements closely."

Beyond personal information, Newell also issued an advisory about Steam forum accounts. All users will be required to change their passwords the next time they log in, and Newell recommends changing the passwords on any other accounts that used the same password.

"We do not know of any compromised Steam accounts, so we are not planning to force a change of Steam account passwords (which are separate from forum passwords). However, it wouldn't be a bad idea to change that as well, especially if it is the same as your Steam forum account password. We will reopen the forums as soon as we can. I am truly sorry this happened, and I apologize for the inconvenience."

Evilwaffles
Member Avatar
Nhas berhu uhna'dha!
I don't think it was anonymous, no. They hack to attack, not to steal.

Evilwaffles
Member Avatar
Nhas berhu uhna'dha!
Good thing I changed my debit card :3

Posted Image

Evilwaffles
Member Avatar
Nhas berhu uhna'dha!
Quote:

Thats pc gaming for ya.

Not sure if serious.

Quote:

What, was this attack made for the intention to steal?

I don't know, I would believe so, but Steam is so heavily encrypted that they would have to spend almost twenty years or so to crack it.

Evilwaffles
Member Avatar
Nhas berhu uhna'dha!
Fana McCloud

- nulláThats pc gaming for ya, I wonder how long this well go on.That's ANY gaming for ya, or any commerce for that matter - they could've just as easily hacked the GameStop database and they sell primarily console games, or Macy's which has nothing to do with games. This is not a fault of PC gaming, it's a general network security failure that could happen to ANY company that deals in online commerce or credit cards.
The Sony PSN hack for example.

Evilwaffles
Member Avatar
Nhas berhu uhna'dha!
TheRedFox8

I remember us freaking out when we were threatened that WE were going to get hacked XD
I honestly cannot remember that, then again, I hardly remember anything :3

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · PC and Mac Gaming · Next Topic »