Nov. photo ee64682b-19a5-4468-87f5-8c11a28b6ed8_zpsab039663.jpg photo 5245d9b3-70fc-4a42-a6e8-4f7308551450_zps244be468.jpg
Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
THE MODEL BUILDERS
WELCOME TO THE MODEL BUILDERS FORUM, DONT FORGET TO CHECK OUT OUR MONTHLY CONTESTS!......CONGRATS to heepy for MOM, and Mecman for DOM for November.DOM is now open for entries. Dec MOM will be a w2nd place chance.
We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing " THE MODEL BUILDERS " as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
The Steampunk Garage; Building the "Bad Penny"
Topic Started: Oct 4 2008, 12:43 PM (11,534 Views)
Hollywood Jim
Member Avatar
Gold Medal Member
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
WELCOME to the Steampunk Garage.

Just in case you might wonder what in the heck is this Hollywood Jim building here.
We might need to define what Steampunk is.
You can do a picture search on the internet and find way too much information on Steampunk.

Here is a description and some pictures.

What is Steampunk?

Steampunk is a genre of fiction set somewhere in the 1800’s during the Victorian Era. The fictional part comes in that technology has gone a bit skewed. Examples include steam-robots, flying castles, under-water bases, moon rockets, time machines etc. Steampunk is Victorian science fiction, voyages extraordinaire, the works of Jules Verne, wild/weird west, 19th century American west, cowboys, scientists, saloon girls and giant mechanical spiders.

Wikipedia says; Steampunk is a subgenre of fantasy and speculative fiction that came into prominence in the 1980s and early 1990s. The term denotes works set in an era or world where steam power is still widely used—usually the 19th century, and often set in Victorian era England—but with prominent elements of either science fiction or fantasy, such as fictional technological inventions like those found in the works of H. G. Wells and Jules Verne.

I love the guy in the helmet.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I love the brass, copper and wood look.

Here's a picture of a motorcycle that a guy named Yad built. I never get tired of looking at this.

Posted Image

And here's the picture that really got my brain to start sparking.......

Posted Image

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Hollywood Jim
Member Avatar
Gold Medal Member
The garage is open.

Here we have the young man Stanley Beamer
and his next door neighbor Julius Van Stoker. Stanley just calls Julius "Vern" for short.

So one day Stanley and Vern were talking about steampunk and cars. Stanley said, "Hey why don't we build a steampunk car?"

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Hollywood Jim
Member Avatar
Gold Medal Member
So Stanley and Vern go out shopping. They look at some cars to see what might work for their steampunk car. Whatever they decide on, they know they need enough space for a boiler room....

Maybe a 32' Cadillac would work.

Posted Image

Or maybe a chrome Dusie boattail.....

Posted Image

Posted Image

Or a 31' Rolls.

Posted Image

This 34' Ford would make a good hot rod, but there's no room for a boiler room...

Posted Image

Then Vern lights on a idea. Why not use a 49 Merc? Stanley does a lot of thinking about this.

Posted Image

"Yea" says Stanley, "This is gonna work fine."

Posted Image

Vern says, "Stanley I'm pooped. Time for a beer. Let's start on this tomorrow."
"OK" says Stanley......

armyofchuckness
Member Avatar
Duke of Detritus
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Ha! And so the teasing begins.

I think the 32 Caddy and 31 Rolls would've been great choices as well.
Edited by armyofchuckness, Oct 4 2008, 04:45 PM.

Jantrix
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
Oh boy. I think this is going to rock. Looking forward to this, although I think the Caddy would fit the genre better.
Edited by Jantrix, Oct 4 2008, 05:35 PM.

DamnCranky66
Member Avatar
Admin
[ * ]
3*6 3*6 3*6
3*6 3*6 3*6

Okay, Jim, I promised not to harrass you and as a matter of fact, I can tell already you are going to kill me with this build. You are going to go down on the record with this one as being the first builder in history to do a How-To in Comic Book format . . .you are such a story teller.

This is going to be absolutely wonderful, buddy. I can't wait . . . no. NO!!! I promised I would not harrass you about more.

I am biting my tongue. I am not doing the Curley on the floor.

NO, you still have many months to go before you finish this one.

I must control myself.

*6)

No, I must control myself!!!!

DamnCranky66
Member Avatar
Admin
[ * ]
Did I not say I am controlling myself? ;) ;) ;)

Lou
Silver Medal Member
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I don't want to push the obvious HJ, but did you ever consider using a Stanley Steamer as the donor car? :$ :unsure:

Lou
Silver Medal Member
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
BTW your background set looks great with the story line.

Hollywood Jim
Member Avatar
Gold Medal Member
Lou
Oct 4 2008, 07:49 PM
I don't want to push the obvious HJ, but did you ever consider using a Stanley Steamer as the donor car? :$ :unsure:

I thought about a 1920's, 1930's car. And/or a Stanley Steamer.
But all that would have been way too easy and predictable.
And besides, steampunk is all about thinking outside the box.

DamnCranky66
Member Avatar
Admin
[ * ]
Jim, the way I think about Steampunk is very similar to the work we've done on our WW3 vehicles . . . you do have to reach the precipice and then jump . . . it's about having fun playing Dr. Frankestein . . . .all of your above SP examples have that quality to them . . .it's the lure of making the old look futuristic . . .

And vise versa . . .

I do agree with Lou that using the garaga and the figures as a way to tell the story of this build is wonderful. I mean, you are even already playing with dioramic elements and principles . . . by posing those figures.

I say keep up the great storytelling!!! :thumup:

Lou
Silver Medal Member
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
HJ I got you on stepping over the edge. Only I hope you include a steam powered leather belt driven iphone setup in the ride.
Edited by Lou, Oct 4 2008, 09:57 PM.

kingme
Member Avatar
Supreme Member!!!
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Looks like this is going to be a good story. I will be following this one. Can't wait to see more.

leadfoot
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
Oh yea, gonna be good.
That chrome Dusie boattail looks pretty cool to.

Lutz-Bikes
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
Hi Holly wood Jim
Great pics and Informations
Can`t wait to see more . [=g [=g [=g
Cheers Lutz

Danny i
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Yeah Jim....I'm with everyone else on this one too. This will be fun and educational as well! Look forward to seeing more.........
Edited by Danny i, Oct 5 2008, 07:34 AM.

DamnCranky66
Member Avatar
Admin
[ * ]
The other good reason for avoiding those early vehicles is that Chitty Chitty Bang Bang is considered an early Steampunk.

chester
Member Avatar
Silver Medal Member
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I love this steampunk idea Jim. Going back to the days of polished wood and brass with precision handmade items and ancient technology. We're so caught up in our plastic, throw away mentality today that the steampunk thought process is very appealing. I'm for the boattail myself. It has beautiful classic lines that lend themselves to the hand crafted look of steampunk.
Thanks for the nifty story (as always) and I'm looking forward to you exercising your great modeling abilities (again as always)

Hollywood Jim
Member Avatar
Gold Medal Member

Stanley breaks out the tools and the 49 Merc and starts hammering. Vern stands there watching and smiling. Then Stanley stops working and says "Gee Vern, what will this steam car look like? Where should I start? Where will everything go?"

Vern says, "Well the first order of business is to draw out a plan. We can't build a steam engine and pipe and plumb a boiler room without some drawings." So Vern whips up some general steam flow drawings.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

The general layout.

Posted Image

The engine.

Posted Image

DamnCranky66
Member Avatar
Admin
[ * ]
I like Vern . . . I think he has the right idea!!!

Jim, if this were a kids' book, I'd read it to my kids every night!!! :D :D :D

bentmetal
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
This story line is so cool. Will be fun following this. I also like the looks of the boattail.

Bryan_M
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
ha!......this is great HJ.................keep going, everyone is watching, and waiting for the next installment! especially me!

bryan

DamnCranky66
Member Avatar
Admin
[ * ]
*c) *6)

Oh, I just remember, I promised I would not be jumping . . .

dptydawg
[ *  *  *  * ]
Hi HJ
You have a great storyline under way here. I'm not up on the niceities of Steampunk but I assume that it is like sci fi were the laws of heat and thermo are merely guidelines and they're not allowed to get in the way of a good tale.
Theres something about steam that no other power source can match. Looking forward to seeing this project come togeather.

Carl

DamnCranky66
Member Avatar
Admin
[ * ]
Jim, it dawned on my last night, that this garage is really a stage upon which you are going to enact this play with figures, and props . . .that's what I love about it . . . you've become a master puppeteer . . . spinning your wonderful story . . .

Instead of this being Wayne's World, it's become VERN'S WORLD!

I love it!!!

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DIORAMA DISCUSSION · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages:

JSResin  ScaleRacingLobby  Early Years Resin  Scale Restoration  LexsScaleModeling vcgresin  wildharemodels  Scenes Unlimited morganautomotive ProTech
THE MODEL BUILDERS FORUM WAS CREATED ON SEPTEMBER,22,2005