Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to The Harkovast Forum. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Multiplayer games; We should play a game together
Topic Started: Feb 10 2012, 06:06 AM (506 Views)
Tiberia
Member Avatar
White Wolf
[ *  *  * ]
I was thinking we should find a game we could all play together.
I already have a game in mind, but this is the criteria I'm basing this on

needs-
online multiplayer
must run on almost any computer
appeal to everyoe

I suggest MegaMek. It's an unofficial online version of battletech. It allows for custom units, and maps, and other stuff.

The game is about having large mechs (western style mechs, not japanese style mechs) duke it out with heavy weaponry. customising mechs is easy, you just need the right program, and some know how 9mainly knowing what works in a design). It's quick to learn, and fun to play.

Warning- I customize my units. ALL my units. You will learn to fear the tiny mech running at 100+ MPH shooting you in the back with a barrage of small lasers until there is no longer a "back"
current Avatr is from the Cyborg series of commisions by Strype. check him out
Favorite pony- RAINBOW DASH
"F*** Nihilism"
960 harko-points
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Canuovea
Member Avatar
Pictured: Hungover Weasel
[ *  *  * ]
I'll consider it. I'm not much of a multiplayer person.

Though... does this run on Linux?

Edit: Ah, yes it does.
Resident philosophy and history nut. And amateur swordsman.

"Purple swords? Darsai are weird." -Elyssa

I have: 3861 Harko-points +1000
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Tiberia
Member Avatar
White Wolf
[ *  *  * ]
yes
"F*** Nihilism"
960 harko-points

Renard
Member Avatar
Kiwifox
[ *  *  * ]
I don't play many games to begin with, I'm grinding away at Skyrim at the moment (not multiplayer, obviously).

Not really my cup of tea, sorry.

P.S. Fancy avatar by the way.
5020 Harkopoints

Tiberia
Member Avatar
White Wolf
[ *  *  * ]
thanks it's by one of my favorite artists; Qzurr
"F*** Nihilism"
960 harko-points

Frostwolf18
Member Avatar
The Watcher
[ *  *  * ]
when it comes to comp gaming its mostly mmos for me, i haven't really tried other games on them, most games i do play are on a console, i like the feeling of a controller
though i might try it
lets see
amateur writer, anime fan, rock lover, freedom seeker, not an otaku, history lover (i love it but it hates me), and.... crap

435 points
more shall come
mwhahahahahaha

IT'S A MADWORLD! REVEL IN IT!!!

Renard
Member Avatar
Kiwifox
[ *  *  * ]
Some of my favorite games have been on the computer; Myst, STALKER, Metro, Oblivion, Skyrim, solitaire...
5020 Harkopoints

Canuovea
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
Solitaire...

I play solitaire on my Linux.

One card draw, three card draw, and one card draw but no going back through the deck.

And since some of my favourite games are strategy they tend to be on the PC.

Ever heard of Wesnoth? It sounds similar to the mech game...

Renard
Member Avatar
Kiwifox
[ *  *  * ]
Myst was bloody confusing and only available on PC (I remember someone gave me that when I got my first computer), Stalker and Metro were FPSs from Ukraine and Russia respectively, and they only released Stalker on PC.

Oblivion and Skyrim are more fun on the PC anyway.

Solitaire and freecell are make me lazy. If I can't sleep I'll have some schnapps, put on a recording of rain on a tin roof, and play cards.
5020 Harkopoints

StyxD
Member Avatar
Undead Wolf
[ *  *  * ]
I could play too, but like Canuovea I usually shun multiplayer. Which means I'll suck badly and loose. But loosing is fun too.

I'm familiar with Wesnoth ("The Valley of Death" is the worst mission ever conceived by mankind!). It's certainly simpler to learn then MegaMek (since you don't customize units, but mind you, I'm biased since I've never played MegaMek) and fun, but the randomness is going to have everyone cursing, no doubt.
2500/9001 Harko-points

Canuovea
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
Valley of death...

I think I remember that one.

Mages show up at the end to save your ass?

And I kept retrying it in order to keep my best troops alive!

StyxD
Member Avatar
Undead Wolf
[ *  *  * ]
They only show up if you took the island fork a few missions before. Which is a terrible idea, since with all the xp you get in the other fork you'll get three red mages and an Elfish marksman for the price of one white mage.

I always found white mages completely useless, considering that undead are also weak to fire and that white mages take forever and a half to get to level three and do almost no damage to anything that's not undead.

I had to actually replay the whole damn campaign just to get past this mission. Eventually though I didn't lost any experienced unit, it just required a lot of unit swapping and having lots of level one meatshields to send to their deaths.
2500/9001 Harko-points

Canuovea
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
Basically what I did.

Still hated it incredibly, though.

Harkovast
Member Avatar
The cause of all this silliness (sorry about that!)
[ *  *  * ]
You wanna ply a game?
I have the perfect one.

Neptune's Pride.
its is played over the course of a month or so, with orders taking hours or days to be carried out.
This makes it ideal or people on different schedules / time zones since you dont need to be on line together.

It is also loads fo fun and incredibly simple and easy to get the hang of.

I am going to get you guys organised to play a game...that is my new mission!
"The details escape me right now." -Sir Muir on life.

Frostwolf18
Member Avatar
The Watcher
[ *  *  * ]
hmm, why don't we try a game that requires teamwork.....maybe i should not have said that

maybe we can try guild wars 2....when it comes out....it's free so it couldn't hurt
lets see
amateur writer, anime fan, rock lover, freedom seeker, not an otaku, history lover (i love it but it hates me), and.... crap

435 points
more shall come
mwhahahahahaha

Canuovea
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
Teamwork?

How the hell are we supposed to work together?

Okay, so it is possible... just what games have that? Hmm we have some good options, though I'm convinced that Styx would crush us all if we tried Wesnoth.

Frostwolf18
Member Avatar
The Watcher
[ *  *  * ]
honestly i like teamwork games alot more than games where i get shot in the back then the face, then a grenade to the crotch, by everyone there

one of the reasons i don't play console shooters anymore, people are dicks, and they are the most dickish online
lets see

435 points
more shall come
mwhahahahahaha

Canuovea
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
Yeah, this is true.

What was that stupid thing that came up? Teabagging? Annoying.

I feel that it is best to play with friends. They tend to be less dickish than anonymous strangers who have no vested interest in not humiliating you.

Frostwolf18
Member Avatar
The Watcher
[ *  *  * ]
yeah thats true i guess

unless they are your opponents, then they can be dicks.... until you shoot them in the face every time, but i also sucked at shooters
lets see

435 points
more shall come
mwhahahahahaha

Canuovea
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
Well, they still have to put up with you later...

Frostwolf18
Member Avatar
The Watcher
[ *  *  * ]
in my friendships i am the straight man of the comedy act
thats how i see it anyway
lets see

435 points
more shall come
mwhahahahahaha

Harkovast
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
Neptunes pride encourages you to back stab, make and break alliances and basically do what ever it takes to take over the universe.
I think it would be insightful to see how you guys each responded to that enviroment.

Canuovea
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
I'd be, like, "hey, want a hand taking over the universe?"

Frostwolf18
Member Avatar
The Watcher
[ *  *  * ]
i would say something kind, then when shit happens my true nature will be revealed, i don't even know my true nature, so it would surprise me as well
lets see

435 points
more shall come
mwhahahahahaha

Harkovast
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
I am playing a gme right now where I have totally betrayed my real life friend and have started hammering his forces while he is engaged fighting on another front....good times.

Canuovea
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
Right.

(Note to self, don't trust Hark).

Harkovast
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
Wait...you were trusting me up until now?
Wow, that's a scary thought!

Canuovea
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
Riiiight. If I make a deal with anyone it'd probably be Tiberius.

Renard
Member Avatar
Kiwifox
[ *  *  * ]
Harkovast
Feb 11 2012, 02:56 AM
Neptunes pride encourages you to back stab, make and break alliances and basically do what ever it takes to take over the universe.
I think it would be insightful to see how you guys each responded to that enviroment.

Agreed, Tiberius would make a good ally.

Then I'd gut him and wear him like a suit, his troops wouldn't know the difference. Except for the accent, and the sudden introduction of blood sacrifice to the Old Gods.

...would any of you really consider allying yourselves with me, or are you convinced that I'd turn on you the instant I had the most to gain from it?
5020 Harkopoints

Canuovea
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
I'd consider allying with you.

Briefly.

Because you're predictable. Kinda. I know you'd turn on me the moment you liked the idea. It is just a matter of figuring out when that is. The trick is to pre-empt that.

Same with the rest of you, I suppose. I miiiight actually trust Tiberius, though. The rest of you would be good for playing against a larger power that both of us don't like.

Renard
Member Avatar
Kiwifox
[ *  *  * ]
I probably wouldn't, provided that you promised to share, and that you understood that the instant you turned on me I would dedicate my forces to annihilating yours at any and all costs.

Men and machines can be replaced, but my enemies must drown in their own blood.
5020 Harkopoints

Canuovea
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
Hmm.

I suppose I like that philosophy.

Tiberia
Member Avatar
White Wolf
[ *  *  * ]
wow, this topic got busy while I was at work.

You don't need to customize units in MegaMek. there is such a large variety of mechs, and variants of those mechs, that you don't need to make custom units.

That said, a large portion of the fun for me is from making my own designs/variants.

I have a rule when customising; The equipment has to fit the chassis.
What this means is if the base chassis has a missile launcher on it, then some sort of missile must go there. if they have a large gun of some sort on there arm, or on their shoulder, then some large gun will go there. and so on. What those missiles, and large guns are varies though, and the smaller stuff isn't as distinct on the chassis so it can go almost anywhere and be almost anything.
this is to keep the mechs from feeling generic. when you get down to it the only difference between two mech chassis is their weight. I'd rather the chassis be unique so i look at the art of them, and use it as a guideline.

Neptunes pride? That sounds interesting.

You are all correct, when it comes to alliance making, I make an alliance to last til the end. I try to make alliances carefully as well, because when I make an alliance, I plan on sticking together til the end for better or ill. I don't break alliance without good reason, usually that reason is I think you're about to betray me, or have already betrayed me.
Do
Not
Betray me
"F*** Nihilism"
960 harko-points

Frostwolf18
Member Avatar
The Watcher
[ *  *  * ]
personally i make alliances with those i know i can trust

renard, if i made an alliance with you, it would be so you could turn around and not notice the gun now pointing to your head.
lets see

435 points
more shall come
mwhahahahahaha

Canuovea
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
I like this.

Maybe we should do it.

I find the best way to avoid people backstabbing you, is to make sure that it isn't worth it. If you have a reputation of rabidly turning on a traitor to the detriment of all else... it would happen less.

Tiberia
Member Avatar
White Wolf
[ *  *  * ]
Once, while playing Alpha centauri, my ally turned on me. I nuked his cities. This had the unfortunate effect of everyone in the world declaring war on me for crimes against humanity, but it was worth it.

Also in that game I became one of the most powerful factions with only 4 cities, while most other factions had around 20 or more cities.
I was the faction that was based around research, so I got technologies faster. I was stuck on an island. This was not a problem. I rushed to get the technology that allowed for convoying of supplies back to cities. Using this one of my cities could out-produce all others.
The hive (totalitarians) was a problem, so I invaded. My forces with thier vastly superior technology swept across the western penninsula until they could go no further as all the units were garrisoned, and repairing in the newly conquered cities.
Then the counter attack came. While one of my cities could produce more then multiple of their cities, they had been building for longer, and could still out-produce through sheer number of cities.
There were so many of them. I lost city after city, until all my forces were withdrawn to the last coastal city. The last stand of my forces lasted many turns. With the help of their better technology, and the aircraft carriers off the coast running air superiority, and ground attack missions, the forces left in the city, a fraction of what invaded, lasted long enough for reinforcements, with newer technology, to arrive. My forces swept across the peninsula, onto the mainland, taking city after city.

It turned out that their counter attack, was most of their military, so after I defeated it, They were defenseless, and their cities couldn't produce individually fast enough to get units out in time.

10 cities producing 10 units in 5 turns is not as useful as one city one unit one turn. especially when that one unit is technologically eons ahead of the 10

I just wanted to share that tale.
"F*** Nihilism"
960 harko-points

Canuovea
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
Clever. I like it when tech and brains beats raw numbers.

Story of my life when fighting the AI...

Renard
Member Avatar
Kiwifox
[ *  *  * ]
Frostwolf18
Feb 11 2012, 07:04 AM
Personally I make alliances with those I know I can trust.

Renard, if I made an alliance with you, it would be so you could turn around and not notice the gun now pointing to your head.

Vengeance is more important to me than total victory. I'd rather commit all of my forces to suicide missions against high-priority targets in order to destroy or cripple a traitor (so that another group can destroy him), than trying to fight a losing war.

Once you turn on me I take it as a personal affront, and so I prefer to ignore anyone else and focus on getting even.
5020 Harkopoints

Frostwolf18
Member Avatar
The Watcher
[ *  *  * ]
actually that is the reason i would make a bad leader, i don't like the idea of sending people out on suicide missions, makes me feel like shit

what? everytime i see something bad i end up puting myself in the same shoes, i don't know why, it's a reflex or something
lets see

435 points
more shall come
mwhahahahahaha

StyxD
Member Avatar
Undead Wolf
[ *  *  * ]
Where did you get the idea that I'd crush you in Wesnoth, Canuovea? I've never played it in multiplayer. The only games I have a chance of crushing anyone are CounterStrike-like shooters, like Urban Terror.

Neptune's Pride... I dunno, it looks a bit like OGame I used to play a long long time ago. Is it played as MMO, or in private games with just few players? I suppose it would be the easiest game to set up, as I guess none of us has unique IP on the net (unless Harkovast could open up a port for some server on harkovast.com ;)).

Also, I think Renard's strategy is terrible, since it's so easy to goad him to move all his forces where you want him. For example, you betray him, then ally with another player. Renard tosses everything at you, but that's all right since you predicted that he would. Meanwhile, your new ally completely disables his economy and backup.

Well, at least in a perfect world ;).

Since you mentioned Alpha Centauri, Tiberius, I just thought - there are also freeCiv and freeCol,
2500/9001 Harko-points

Renard
Member Avatar
Kiwifox
[ *  *  * ]
The best leaders don't rely on suicide missions.

The Soviet command refused to allow their soldiers and commanders to retreat or give up an inch of ground to the Wehrmacht (Order #277, "Not one step back"). This meant that a commander who ordered his troops to fall back even a few hundred meters to a more defensible position risked being shot, even if his men would have been slaughtered and the line broken had he not made a tactical retreat.

The same could be said for the Wehrmacht in Stalingrad; when things began taking a decisive turn for the worst they received orders from Berlin that they were to fight to the last man. When the Soviets were hours away from wiping out the last German soldiers Hitler promoted Friedrich Paulus, the commander of the German forces there, to Field Marshal and reminded him that no German Field Marshall had ever surrendered (trying to force him to fight to the death to preserve German military honor).

All suicide missions do is whither the moral of your own troops and cost you experienced personnel (which is what started happening to the Japanese and the Luftwaffe, they lost some of their best pilots to desperate attacks).
5020 Harkopoints

Canuovea
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
Huzzah for suicide missions!

The point is to make betrayal just not worth the cost. If you have a reputation for doing your utmost (not just suicide attacks) to destroy a traitor, even allying with a former enemy, then that reputation will help prevent betrayal. It also helps that you aren't running about betraying people at the same time.

And Renard has a point. Look at some of the most successful armies in history. The Mongols fell back when they needed to, even the Romans wouldn't offer battle all the time. The Continental Army basically won the revolutionary war with a strategy of "run away!"

StyxD
Member Avatar
Undead Wolf
[ *  *  * ]
So wait, I don't quite get it. First Renard says he'd totally commit all his forces to cripple the traitor even if it's suicidal, then points out why suicidal missions are bad...
2500/9001 Harko-points

Canuovea
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
Oh, and StyxD, the reason I say you'd crush everyone at Wesnoth is that you've actually played it before. And while I have, I wouldn't say I'm particularly good at it...

Harkovast
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
Next time Harkovast updates I will get this organised.
I really want as many of you to play as possible.
Especially StyxD (finally revenge for all his criticism!!! REVENGE!)

I will also award 100 Harko points to the winner.

Canuovea
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
What if it is a coalition victory?

Renard
Member Avatar
Kiwifox
[ *  *  * ]
Suicide missions aren't a good idea, but why should that stop me? They say meth and huffing pesticides is bad too.
5020 Harkopoints

Canuovea
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
Meth and huffing pesticides are bad ideas if you care about your life.

Suicide missions are only a bad idea if you care about the lives of your soldiers and victory.

Renard
Member Avatar
Kiwifox
[ *  *  * ]
And if all of your allies have suddenly turned on you for selfish reasons then it's perfectly understandable to lash out and try to inflict as much harm as possible in the shortest amount of time.
5020 Harkopoints

Harkovast
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
I will choose the game...and coalition wins will not be an option.
Winner takes all (the harko points!)

Tiberia
Member Avatar
White Wolf
[ *  *  * ]
I'm in.
"F*** Nihilism"
960 harko-points

StyxD
Member Avatar
Undead Wolf
[ *  *  * ]
Harkovast

Especially StyxD (finally revenge for all his criticism!!! REVENGE!)
Well, that's one tactical option less for me - never ally with Harkovast.

Also, what happens if Harkovast wins? Surely, he can't receive Harko-points, he's the source of them all.

@Canuovea
Nah, if you got through Valley of the Damned, you're at least as good as me. I'm yet to encounter a more stupidly difficult mission.
2500/9001 Harko-points

Canuovea
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
Personally, I blame the Ringwraith things. Damn I hate those. I had to re-load the previous turn far too often and spam far too many helpless first level elven warriors. Poor bastards. The sad thing is that it really wasn't too difficult if you didn't mind spending huge amounts of gold and sending tons of poor lower level units to their untimely deaths. Problem is, doing that didn't ever work for almost any other level in the game!

StyxD
Member Avatar
Undead Wolf
[ *  *  * ]
The wraiths I didn't mind that much - few elves in the wood to the east could technically make a spartan stand against them. If there was any unit I dreaded, it was the level 2 undead archer - I swear, those are stronger and more resilient then the supposedly supreme at archery elves. But there weren't many of them.

What I hated was a sick unit limit in this mission. You could field at most two turns worth of units, at which point your gold plunged into negative value, since you couldn't possibly pay the upkeep for them, as there was no way to hold any village on this map. There were not really that much tactics you could apply with such constraints.

Also, kiss your ass goodbye if you didn't enter this mission with bonus gold from the previous one and several level 3 mages. This scenario is a huge slap for the first time players, who don't know that it's coming beforehand.
2500/9001 Harko-points

Tiberia
Member Avatar
White Wolf
[ *  *  * ]
I have MineCraft now
"F*** Nihilism"
960 harko-points

Frostwolf18
Member Avatar
The Watcher
[ *  *  * ]
i don't play minecraft much anymore
lets see

435 points
more shall come
mwhahahahahaha

Canuovea
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
Oh yeah, those archers. Hate them. But for some reason I remember the wraiths annoying me more. Not the level one wraiths, but the ones with the swords, level 3 I think. Oh, gods, I hope level 3. Still, the archers are pretty ridiculous.

I just started playing about with Wesnoth again, not the campaign, just some skirmishes. And I've been figuring out exactly how terrible the elves are against the undead. The humans do a much better job of it, in all honesty. Strangely enough, the spearmen aren't terrible against the skeletons and the heavies with the maces just make a mess of them. Elves just don't really have a smashing unit aside from the Wose things, and those kinda annoy me. I can see why the developers tossed a regular human mage into the elven unit selection.

And yes, the bonus gold! Very much required. Though I don't recall having level three mages, probably because I took the island detour.

The thing I hate most is that it basically becomes a holding action, just kind of throwing up a wall of units and hoping they don't all die. I just don't want to consider how long it took me! Though if I recall correctly, it managed to make me angry at Li'sar. So I suppose it worked plot wise.

So the second group I hated almost as much as the undead were the trolls. I found their resilience annoying, I suppose, but at least they weren't as bad as the undead.

Anyway, if we ever end up playing Wesnoth everyone knows who to play against me.

StyxD
Member Avatar
Undead Wolf
[ *  *  * ]
On which difficulty did you play? I remember there was only one type of wraith there, those with swords, they're level 2.

And the mission didn't make me angry at Li'sar, but at the idiot protagonist, who believed her so readily (come on, if you take "s" out of her name you even get Li'ar). Not sure if you're supposed to hate her, considering she joins you later.

See, you've played the skirmishes. I only played the campaigns. I have only slight idea of what factions are there in multiplayer (they're all mixed in the campaigns). Clearly, you'd have an upper hand.
2500/9001 Harko-points

Canuovea
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
I'm not entirely sure I remember. Probably normal.

I did notice that I find the Orcish Grunts to be a lot less effective in skirmishes than in the campaigns though. By that I mean they're easier to kill.

And I've played skirmishes by just mucking about and testing various factions, not exactly impressive.

And admittedly the protagonist is pretty stupid sometimes. Falls for a pretty face a tad quickly.

Canuovea
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
I'm giving that Heir to the Throne Campaign a go... again.

And guess where I am? Valley of Death.

And am I regretting that I didn't turn that other knight into a second Paladin? Yes. Yes I am. And those fucking Wraiths. And yes, they are only level two. Level three is too terrible to contemplate. I think that they've redesigned their sprites, they still look... freaky. Though I've got considerably fewer elves this time around, and considerably more cavalry. I'm oddly liking the cavalry a lot more this time. Kinda strange, I know.

I'm sure I could win it fairly capably. Really. I'd just lose half of my most experienced troops, and I hate it when that happens. Keeping them alive is so tedious.

StyxD
Member Avatar
Undead Wolf
[ *  *  * ]
No. Don't regret.
Paladins are good for nothing, except for that one mission.

A true strategist would refuse to, let's say, condemn a unit to a lesser development path just so one mission would be slightly easier.

As I said - send the elves to the forest to the east, they can hold off the wraiths... hopefully.
2500/9001 Harko-points

Canuovea
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
They did. Enough magic makes a good mess of those bastards and the two Elven heroes I had died, but made good meatshields while they lasted. I was about one turn short of killing the final Lich when the game ended, too! Bah.

And the Grand Knights and Paladin made a good job of running up there and killing the top Lich, and then coming down again and helping Delflador Zap the middle one. Worked surprisingly well, actually.

I'm not sure how entirely useless the Paladins are. I mean, they're basically a knight, with a sword that does arcane damage, and the odd bonus of healing nearby units a little. But I'm happy just having one of them.

ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Create a free forum in seconds.
« Previous Topic · Random Nonsense · Next Topic »
Add Reply