Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to KOEI Warriors (Forum). We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls.

As a member you will also have access the exclusive Members Only Section where you will be privvy to a wide range of KOEI Warriors Renders, OSTs and Videos.
Registration is simple, fast, and completely free!

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features!

Username:   Password:
Locked Topic
Three Great Spears of Japan?
Topic Started: Jun 23 2007, 06:35 PM (8,286 Views)
Minion
Member Avatar
The Unmatched Paradox
[ *  * ]
I'm doing some research on Japanese Folklore, Mythology, and History to dig up some interesting concepts for a Fiction I want to write. Basically, I found something I might want to pick at for awhile, but none of my sources have anything on it except for the mere mention of it.

I found something titled 'The Three Great Spears of Japan.' The three spears are the Tonbogiri, Otegine, and the Nihonge. I read briefly about the legend of the Tonbogiri Spear and how it's known as the Dragonfly Cutter, but I haven't found much more.

Help on the Otegine and Nihonge would be appreciated.

Offline Profile Goto Top

Hondam
Member Avatar
Harbaugh So Hard
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Otegine was my character name in a game..

I have nothing else on it either, other than the fact that it was supposedly brought down by the gods or something to that effect.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Red Knight
Member Avatar
God of War
I think Izanagi thrust Otegine into the sea, the drops of water formed the islands of Japan. Nihonge, I'm not so sure about.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Hondam
Member Avatar
Harbaugh So Hard
Red Knight
Jun 24 2007, 08:17 AM
I think Izanagi thrust Otegine into the sea, the drops of water formed the islands of Japan. Nihonge, I'm not so sure about.

Wrong. Izanagi used Ama no nuhoko. The three spears the topic creator is talking about were all real spears from famous blacksmiths.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Minion
Member Avatar
The Unmatched Paradox
[ *  * ]
Yeah, they were real Spears, I heard.

Though, it's likely they were associated with Legends. Look at Guan Yu. Real person turned God. =/
Offline Profile Goto Top

Wo Long
Member Avatar
Dragon of the Abyss
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Minion
Jun 26 2007, 02:33 PM
Yeah, they were real Spears, I heard.

Though, it's likely they were associated with Legends. Look at Guan Yu. Real person turned God. =/

And look at Ieyasu. Real man who is still a real man. That was a horrible analogy in that it makes no sense.

There are 3 famous spears in Japan. It's a fact. Honda Tadakatsu's was the Tonbo-giri. Did it really cut a dragonfly in half? Maybe. Was it even sharp enough to? Maybe. Regardless, it was still the name of the spear he used and is considered one of the three.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Sanada Yukimasa
Member Avatar
Descendant of Sanada Yukimura, I am Sanada Yukimasa Saemonosuke!
[ *  *  *  * ]
yes the three spears were real

and most likely used by the most powerful warriors of japan...seein tadakatsu has one...wouldnt it be wierd if keiji and yukimura had the other two?
Offline Profile Goto Top

Sanada Yukimasa
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  * ]
otegine is the sixth weapon of the new officer on sw xl...
Offline Profile Goto Top

Raiko Z
Member Avatar
Chump Crusher
3 great spears of Japan:
Tonbo-giri
Nihon-Go
and,..... I forget
Offline Profile Goto Top

C. J. McIntyre
Member Avatar
Sacred Mandingo Warrior
[ *  * ]
Yes the three spears are:

Tonbo-giri - the spear weilded by Honda Tadakatsu also known as the Dragonfly Cutter Spear. It was said if a dragonfly sat on the blade, it would be cut in half.

Otegino : Couldn't find anything on this, but I'll look again.

Nihongo or Nipongo - Spear given to Shogun Ashikaga Yoshiaki by Emperor Masatiaki. It was then passed to Oda Nobunaga and Toyotomi Hideyoshi before being used by Fukushima Masonori ( but I think they mean Masanari ) and finally Mori Tahei.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Sanada Yukimasa
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  * ]
I'll look into Otegine..
Offline Profile Goto Top

Claus
Member Avatar
old hag
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
sorry to bump but i found this info and yeah

Nihongo was arguably the most famous spear in those days. It was 2.3m length, with a blade of 80cm length. It was originally owned by a daimyo, Fukushima Masanori . But one day, he made a bit with Mori Tahe on drinking sake . The stake was Nihongo. And Tahe won. The next day, Masanori sobered up and asked Tahe to give back the spear. But Tahe rejected. There is a song about the story, Kurodabushi .

so it probly looked a little something like this...
http://img527.imageshack.us/img527/6295/ahlspiessfront2zo1.jpg
Offline Profile Goto Top

Zero38
Member Avatar
The Dancing Flower of The Night.
[ *  *  *  * ]
^^
That's actually interesting
Hope Masanori wield this spear when he become playable in SW3.special
Offline Profile Goto Top

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · Archives · Next Topic »
Locked Topic

Composed & Designed by, ©KOEI Warriors, 2005-2014. All rights reserved.