Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to KOEI Warriors (Forum). We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls.

As a member you will also have access the exclusive Members Only Section where you will be privvy to a wide range of KOEI Warriors Renders, OSTs and Videos.
Registration is simple, fast, and completely free!

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Avatar: The Legend of Korra; The story continues...
Topic Started: Jul 1 2010, 05:24 PM (9,427 Views)
Xalfrea
Member Avatar
Keyblade hero

With the movie out, I figured this is a good time to bring this up.

Right now there are no announcements about story, but there are rumors saying it'll take place a century after the Aang saga.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Xalfrea
Member Avatar
Keyblade hero

A press release is finally out, giving some VERY IMPORTANT info...

Posted Image

Quote:

Nickelodeon Greenlights New Series From the Creators of the Animated Television Hit Avatar: The Last Airbender

Series Creators Michael DiMartino and Bryan Konietzko Bring Fans a New Adventure in the Avatar World The Legend of Korra

BURBANK, Calif., July 21 /PRNewswire/ -- Nickelodeon, the number one producer of television animation in the world, has greenlit a new series from the creators of the hit animated TV show Avatar: The Last Airbender, it was announced today by Brown Johnson, President, Animation, Nickelodeon and MTVN Kids and Family Group. The new series The Legend of Korra (working title), from creators Michael DiMartino and Bryan Konietzko, will premiere on Nickelodeon in 2011, continuing the evolution of the animated franchise and its mythology. The original series was the inspiration for the Paramount Pictures and Nickelodeon Movies live-action epic adventure, The Last Airbender, which has already grossed more than $115 million at the box office to date.

"Mike and Bryan have imagined a compelling new story inspired by the Airbender mythology that they so brilliantly crafted when the TV series began," Johnson said. "This new avatar is not only a girl, but also hot-headed, independent and ready to take on the world."

The Legend of Korra takes place 70 years after the events of Avatar: The Last Airbender and follows the adventures of the Avatar after Aang – a passionate, rebellious, and fearless teenaged girl from the Southern Water Tribe named Korra. With three of the four elements under her belt (Earth, Water, and Fire), Korra seeks to master the final element, Air. Her quest leads her to the epicenter of the modern "Avatar" world, Republic City – a metropolis that is fueled by steampunk technology. It is a virtual melting pot where benders and non-benders from all nations live and thrive. However, Korra discovers that Republic City is plagued by crime as well as a growing anti-bending revolution that threatens to rip it apart. Under the tutelage of Aang's son, Tenzin, Korra begins her airbending training while dealing with the dangers at large.

Launched in February 2005, Avatar aired for three seasons on Nickelodeon and was ranked among the top five animated properties on television among boys, 2-11 and 6-11 (2005/2006). During this time, the series reached a total of 21.7 million total viewers (persons 2+), including 8.8 million kids 2-11 and 6.3 million kids 6-11*. Currently, Avatar: The Last Airbender is the number one program on Nicktoons among tweens. (Source: *Nielsen Cume Data - July 2008, Live + 7 day, 6 min. qualifier.)

Avatar: The Last Airbender was created and executive produced by Michael DiMartino and Bryan Konietzko.

An award-winning filmmaker, DiMartino was a director at Film Roman for six years, working on the prime-time animated series King of the Hill, Family Guy and Mission Hill. During his tenure there, DiMartino animated and directed the short animated film Atomic Love, which has gone on to screen at festivals across the country including Sundance and the Los Angeles Film Festival. It also aired as part of the Nicktoons Network Animation Festival.

Konietzko began his career in animation as a character designer at Film Roman for Fox's prime-time series, Family Guy. He soon moved to the post of assistant director for two more Film Roman shows, Mission Hill and King of the Hill, working beside animation director DiMartino. Konietzko then became a storyboard artist and later an art director for the Nickelodeon animated series Invader Zim.

The new Avatar series will be produced at the Nickelodeon Animation Studios in Burbank, Calif., and is co-executive produced by Joaquim Dos Santos.

Nickelodeon, now in its 31st year, is the number-one entertainment brand for kids. It has built a diverse, global business by putting kids first in everything it does. The company includes television programming and production in the United States and around the world, plus consumer products online, recreation, books and feature films. Nickelodeon's U.S. television network is seen in more than 100 million households and has been the number-one-rated basic cable network for 16 consecutive years. For more information or artwork, visit http://www.nickpress.com. Nickelodeon and all related titles, characters and logos are trademarks of Viacom Inc. (NYSE: VIA, VIA.B).
SOURCE Nickelodeon

A new female Avatar, with Aang's son as her Airbending mentor, and STEAMPUNK in Avatarverse?

I'm totally stoked. :dance:

Bamboo
Member Avatar
*hail hydra*
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Weeeee. More Avatar. I'm excited, but not that much until I see much more. 'Anti-bending' revolution? Whew, prejudice is something new. We haven't seen that in major media ever since X-Men! Not my cup of tea, and I'm not sure if the revolution and a crime underworld is going to present a major antagonist dangerous enough to pose a threat to Korra.

Tenzin sounds like a familiar name. I think it might have been Aang's Air predecessor, or the mentor of Aang. Mmmm.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Nocon
Member Avatar
Commander
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
DUDE, I'm totally excited for this new series!! A female, teenage Avatar? Aang has a kid? Steampunk technology?! Sounds like epic win, and I really cannot wait until we get more info. :dance:

Thanks for the info, Xalfrea! :)

Xalfrea
Member Avatar
Keyblade hero

No problem, just glad to give new info.

And more info I give!

Interview with the creators

Well nothing that new is shown, but it does say something regarding Republic City, that it'll take inspiration from 20's and 30' Shanghai, Hong Kong, Manhattan and Vancouver.

It also shows that the creators intend it to be more mature, but still keeping the same amount of humor the show is known for. Oh, and Tenzin's mother is Katara. No surprise there.

Burning Skulls
Member Avatar
Fun Area Game Host
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Wow! Thanks for posting all this info, Xalfrea. :D

I'm really excited to see Avatar come back. I was disappointed when the last season ended, and this one looks really interesting. The plot and the character all sound pretty awesome so I'm excited to see more info. I'm hoping that Tenzin might have a few flashbacks or something so we can see more of what happened to Aang and Katara and Zuko.

Xalfrea
Member Avatar
Keyblade hero

I'm pretty sure they'll make some references to the past. The creators are a smart bunch, they'll definitely give some backstory as to what happened during the 70 year gap.

Oh, and speculation fanart is coming around already!

Posted Image

DarkMantisTalon
Member Avatar
Sengoku Period Fanboy (hehe)
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
omg yes a new avatar series!!!!!! i cant wait.

Xalfrea
Member Avatar
Keyblade hero

It's going to be a MINI-series!

That might be a good or bad thing. On one hand, a lack of an overarching seasonal story won't give us as much Avatar as before. But on the other hand, this will allow them to focus much more on story and not mess around like they did before. Even the creators acknowledge this.

Yes, I'm looking at you, Great Divide.

Oh, and the new show will come out late Fall 2011 (September-November).

NekoWarrior
Member Avatar
Han's Unifier
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
This is great news, but 2011 :( man too long of a wait

Xalfrea
Member Avatar
Keyblade hero

What can I do, but give more info?

Key points:

Quote:

As mentioned , the cabbage merchant will not appear, but "his legacy will be present in some form."

As an evolution of the first series, The Legend of Korra will have more sophistication to it, but still keep the humor, fun hybrid animals, and action.

It won't cover more mature subject material necessarily, just different mature subjects. "It won't be another war, but a different sort of conflict."

On whether or not we'd see a love interest for Korra: "We love that stuff. We're total cornballs, we love cheesy teen romance. Rest assured, there's plenty or romance happening in the story, but it's the same balance of ingredients that we like."

Katara IS in fact the mother of Aang's offspring, who will be central to the show. "We didn't mean for it to be a big super-secret, that they end up together."

On the persecution of Airbenders being compared to the X-Men registration act: "We'll see something like that, but in sort of a different structure."

Will it be a very different world from where we left off? "Yes and no, the world has definitely changed, and evolved, and advanced, but we're very conscious of keeping the same feeling. Not totally different, but it's definitely generations later."

"There will definitely only be one Avatar at a time, and it is Korra."

So will Aang have any kind of presence? "Yes...in his way."

DiMartino and Konietzko will continue to work with Joaquim Dos Santos and Ryuki Hung, working to improve the design and animation.

The Legend of Korra will in fact be a mini-series, with Michael and Bryan directly writing each episode.

"As a mini-series, it's going to be really tight. While we really love the filler episodes, those are some of our favorites, this thing is just lean and mean. It's a really cool driving story."

LMAO, I was hoping that the Cabbage Merchant would have had like a chain of cabbage stores by the time of LoK. But oh well.

And they definitely said no filler, which is both good and bad because Avatar is like the only show that has majority GOOD filler. But I'm all for a more "cut the junk" approach to it. Less is definitely more.

Selli
Member Avatar

[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Oh, no, I don't really like things like this XD I loved Avatar, but I'm not sure I'll watch this continuation D: I'm a serious case of main-character-loyalty, and when they die or someone else takes over as the main character, I don't really like it much XD Which just makes me narrow-minded D:
Seeing as they said they like love stories, Korra is probably going to end up with Aang's son :rolleyes: XDDD Or not, because he might be a bit old, but whatever XD

Mu Wang
Member Avatar
King of Zhou
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I am excited for this, but I am hoping Nick does give Mike and Bryan the go-ahead to make more down the line, because it could have a lot of potential to become as great or even better than the Last Airbender series. I am being optimistic about it, but not totally optimistic.
Edited by Mu Wang, Jan 29 2011, 10:33 PM.

Xalfrea
Member Avatar
Keyblade hero

Well, its 2011. I admit with everything that happened lately I did forget that this is even coming out.

If new info pops up, you know I'll be posting it here. Let's hope something will be shown soon.

Mu Wang
Member Avatar
King of Zhou
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I wish that Nickelodeon would release at least a teaser trailer of the series soon, and maybe the full trailer in the Summer of 2011.

Xalfrea
Member Avatar
Keyblade hero

Behold! The first official look at our newest Avatar!

Posted Image

Mu Wang
Member Avatar
King of Zhou
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Xalfrea
Mar 7 2011, 04:51 AM
Behold! The first official look at our newest Avatar!

Posted Image
That is an awesome image, thanks for posting it.

Where did you find the image?

Xalfrea
Member Avatar
Keyblade hero

Image came from here.

Unfortunately, there's some bad news. The airdate for the series was pushed back to next year. :crazy:

Zillion
Soldier
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Xalfrea
Mar 7 2011, 03:41 PM
Unfortunately, there's some bad news. The airdate for the series was pushed back
Korra looks cool.

And I can wait, I gue-

Xalfrea

to next year. :crazy:

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Mu Wang
Member Avatar
King of Zhou
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Thanks for the info, Xalfrea.

Update:Here's a list of the voice actors doing the characters.

Interesting to see that Lance Henriksen is voicing a character, as well as JK Simmons.
Edited by Mu Wang, Mar 8 2011, 04:06 AM.

Xalfrea
Member Avatar
Keyblade hero

Mu Wang
Mar 7 2011, 11:48 PM

Interesting to see that Lance Henriksen is voicing a character, as well as JK Simmons.
Dang, I'm surprised by all these VA's, they've been in quite a couple big name movies and shows.

Creators give more info on new show.

Mu Wang
Member Avatar
King of Zhou
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Xalfrea
Mar 9 2011, 01:30 AM
Mu Wang

Dang, I'm surprised by all these VA's, they've been in quite a couple big name movies and shows.

Creators give more info on new show.

Interesting wording that Mike said "We are in the midst of the first 12 episodes..."

So this will not be a miniseries after all. It'll have 26 episodes, according to the article, because Nick originally ordered 12, but apparently they ordered 14 more episodes. This is good news for people who actually want to see this as a series.

Guan Suo
Member Avatar
Guan Yu's lost child
[ *  * ]
Quote:

We wanted to create a new Avatar that was completely the opposite of Aang.

sounds great.

Quote:

We have a great villain. He’s kind of an anti-bending revolutionary guy. Very scary dude. And definitely is quite a challenge for Korra.

a Bazoka guy?

Wandrian
Member Avatar
---
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Mu Wang
Here's a list of the voice actors doing the characters.
:blink:

That is an...interesting list. David Faustino? Bud Bundy...in a kids' show? Sure why not :lol:

Avatar was the one show that I've watched Nickolodeon for since all my favorite early 1990s shows were cancelled ages ago. Looking forward to this one very much :heart: :) :dance:

T5drifter
Member Avatar
Stig
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Loved the first series and can't wait for this one. Lance Henriksen in this? I'll probably lol a bit inside since I always see him as General Shepherd from MW2 and Bishop from Aliens.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Television · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Composed & Designed by, ©KOEI Warriors, 2005-2014. All rights reserved.