Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to KOEI Warriors (Forum). We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls.

As a member you will also have access the exclusive Members Only Section where you will be privvy to a wide range of KOEI Warriors Renders, OSTs and Videos.
Registration is simple, fast, and completely free!

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
New Vampire/Darkstalkers game may LONG LAST become a thing of reality!; Ono's long-standing wish looks to have been granted. Perhaps fans' are next!
Topic Started: Jul 5 2010, 10:01 PM (5,806 Views)
Sanji Himura
Member Avatar
Proprietor of the WWE 2K thread
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Agreed. Ono asked the Comic con crowd to hold up $10 or $20 in support of a new Darkstalkers title and took a picture to send to Capcom's president. That's all!
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

HokutoNoBen
Member Avatar
Conqueror that Appeared at the End of the Age
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
http://venturebeat.com/2012/03/03/inside-source-reports-darkstalkers-4-is-in-the-works-exclusive/

Looks like this one might FINALLY be real this time. It's from the same source who leaked RE6 ahead of time, no less...

Balder
Member Avatar
The Lumen Sage
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Just read this on Eventhubs. Good to know someone else is interested.
But...SFxT engine? DON'T KNOW IF WANT
After all their crockery, I'm just not as enthusiastic as I expected to be. Hoping for the best but cautiously weary. We'll see.

I wonder if this is related to when Capcom filed the Darkstalkers trademark on this year's Valentine's Day? Though, admittedly, that could be for something as innocuous as just preventing the trademark from expiring.

Joshelplex
Member Avatar
The Nightmare of Winnipeg
Im okay with the SFxT engine.

HokutoNoBen
Member Avatar
The SFxT engine in itself is fine. I just think that most people don't want to see the same "SF4" art style used for the Darkstalkers, which I would HOPE Ono and his team would already know about.

I mean, seeing Morrigan and Felicia hit with the same ugly stick that Chun-li got in SF4? Yeah...that'd be a sure-fire way to lose sales. :hehe:

Celestial
Member Avatar
Love,hate, tragedy, and war.
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Great news about Darkstalkers 4 may be coming after a long wait.

In the past Ono already said that if he got a chance to due a new Darkstalkers game that the SF4 art stlye wouldn't work and he would use something else. I'm sure he will stick with his word on this and have it looking different from SF4.

Wasn't the SFxT system influenced from some Darkstalker elements anyway? I'm sure Ono would work something out but I have no problems with the SFxT sysytem being used.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Joshelplex
Member Avatar
HokutoNoBen
Mar 4 2012, 02:38 AM
The SFxT engine in itself is fine. I just think that most people don't want to see the same "SF4" art style used for the Darkstalkers, which I would HOPE Ono and his team would already know about.

I mean, seeing Morrigan and Felicia hit with the same ugly stick that Chun-li got in SF4? Yeah...that'd be a sure-fire way to lose sales. :hehe:
Use the MvC3 models. 3 are already done that way and the look good enough

Balder
Member Avatar
The Lumen Sage
HokutoNoBen
Mar 4 2012, 02:38 AM

Yeah, I know that 'engine =/= art style' and from glancing at the comments sections in EH and SRK that seems the part that's making people jump at each other's throats.
Personally, and as we've discussed before, I think that 3D graphics still aren't fully capable of reproducing all the effects from the 2D games. Which is way I stand by my idea that the 3 reps in MvC3 were the optimal combination of popularity and ease to reproduce in 3D. Hsien-ko and Felicia are spot-on for the most part since there's nothing extraordinary about their skill sets but Morrigan was certainly lacking in some things (I personally think the model itself looked great though).
So far, the best things in terms of weird effects that I've seen them pull are Sentinel (still missing most things from COTA) and Shuma-Gorath that while impressive, is essentially a invertebrate amorphous mass, thus easier to animate.
Maybe they might surprise me but guys like Huitzil, Raptor and Anakaris seem far beyond anything any 3D fighter has in terms of visual spectacle and then there's the 'props & effects' that make the series so famous and pretty much all of Bishamon's sword slices and seppuku ceremonies are bound to be removed in a 3D game for the sake of not boosting the rating.
I hate to be such a ungrateful prick at this point but I just stopped trusting Capcom altogether. I admit I am positively curious, even if not just to see the new characters. SFIV and SSFIV proved they can still come up with great characters that live up to the spirit of the classic cast.

Celestial

Wasn't the SFxT system influenced from some Darkstalker elements anyway?
Pretty much every post-Darkstalkers 2D fighter system was influenced by it and it's sequels. The game wasn't just gorgeous, it was revolutionary.

HokutoNoBen
Member Avatar
Balder
Mar 4 2012, 03:13 AM
Personally, and as we've discussed before, I think that 3D graphics still aren't fully capable of reproducing all the effects from the 2D games. Which is way I stand by my idea that the 3 reps in MvC3 were the optimal combination of popularity and ease to reproduce in 3D. Hsien-ko and Felicia are spot-on for the most part since there's nothing extraordinary about their skill sets but Morrigan was certainly lacking in some things (I personally think the model itself looked great though).
So far, the best things in terms of weird effects that I've seen them pull are Sentinel (still missing most things from COTA) and Shuma-Gorath that while impressive, is essentially a invertebrate amorphous mass, thus easier to animate.
Maybe they might surprise me but guys like Huitzil, Raptor and Anakaris seem far beyond anything any 3D fighter has in terms of visual spectacle and then there's the 'props & effects' that make the series so famous and pretty much all of Bishamon's sword slices and seppuku ceremonies are bound to be removed in a 3D game for the sake of not boosting the rating.
I think there is proof positive that 3D CAN replicate a number of things that were only possible in 2D up until a few years ago. As I may have said before, Game&Watch (Melee, Brawl) is easily one of most complex 3D model ever made for a game, with plenty of complex animations and transformations that are in many ways, still ahead of their time.

...Of course, that's an example of Nintendo's talent and has no bearing of what Capcom's talent is or is not capable of (or if even they have the incentive to exercise that ability to its fullest). But hey, let's hope for the best.

Frankly, I'm more concerned about censorship, as you mentioned. Japan is a very different beast from when Jedah's various shenanigans in Vampire Savior were fine to display in an arcade setting. And frankly, a Vampire game without its black humor wouldn't seem "right", honestly.

Joshelplex
Member Avatar
Either Jedah is never going to be in a game again (You cant really censor him, his most famous attack was decapitating himself and blood geysering) or they just go for the M. Im almost thinking they will too, most of the DS fanbase are older and its not like being a Mature title ever hurt the sales of stuff like CoD. Look at Mortal Kombat, it managed to do just fine on an M rating. Given DS is already niche, it being M is probably irrelevant.

HokutoNoBen
Member Avatar
See, the ONLY thing I fear about if Capcom does indeed go for the "M" rated direction? That they'll go too far with it, and try to turn Darkstalkers into the "Capcom answer to Mortal Kombat". Main thing wrong with that idea is that was never what the series was all about back in the day. Unfortunately, I wouldn't be at all surprised if the marketing geniuses thought that would be such a great idea in order to help a Darkstalkers game sell in the Western hemisphere.

But on the other hand, such a "M"/"CERO D"-rated game wouldn't fly at all in Japanese arcades, where Vampire was more popular anyway. So, it'll definitely be interesting to see just what they choose to do.

Balder
Member Avatar
The Lumen Sage
HokutoNoBen
Mar 4 2012, 06:52 PM
See, the ONLY thing I fear about if Capcom does indeed go for the "M" rated direction? That they'll go too far with it, and try to turn Darkstalkers into the "Capcom answer to Mortal Kombat". Main thing wrong with that idea is that was never what the series was all about back in the day. Unfortunately, I wouldn't be at all surprised if the marketing geniuses thought that would be such a great idea in order to help a Darkstalkers game sell in the Western hemisphere.
Got totally ninja'd here. :hehe:
I was going to bring up that subject because I see a lot of requests for that kind of thing in Unity, SRK, and EH. People who think that going all 'grim dark srs business mature games for mature players' is the only suitable direction for Darkstalkers. Dear lord...Darkstalkers by Ninja Theory? Morrigan and Demitri highschool gothic romance? :sick:
Not just taking jabs at Capcom, but a lot of folks in the industry have zero clue of what a 'mature approach' means.
I'm hoping for the best and despite not really trusting Ono when it comes to gameplay, I do think he'll make the right call and keep the classic feel of the series and I don't think they'll dare 'offend' the Japanese fans who still keep the series alive over there.

Anyway, about the censorship, I was only thinking about Bishamon but when you mentioned Jedah, it really hit me. As Joshelplex said, his whole gig is self-mutilation and blood spraying. When I played Nightwarriors as a kid I never payed much attention to it, but the series really got a LOT of crap past the radar.
I wonder if B.B. Hood is still keeping her cigar? I mean, Peacock does the same thing with the added plus of blowing out the smoke from her eye sockets. Funny how the same thing can be seen in a completely different manner by censors depending if it's 2D or 3D. That's the part that makes me feel they might aim for SFIV-esque models so to make them as cartoony as possible in order to get the most crap under the radar.

Joshelplex
Member Avatar
I'd be more pissed at removing the cigar than anything. this anti-smoking jihad is completely retarded. When stupid Quesada banned smoking in Marvel's books for personal reasons I was pretty pissed. People smoke, deal with it. Don't pretend they don't.

Zillion
Soldier
SFxT graphics enging is fine, they better not use the same art style though. Bar Hugo, everyone looks odd in it.

Joshelplex
Member Avatar
Theyd probably use MvC3s because 3 of the characters would be done already

Balder
Member Avatar
The Lumen Sage
Captivate '12 is taking place this week in Rome and those slave drivers at Capcom aren't letting poor Ono get his well-earned rest. He tweets:
@Yoshi_OnoChin

So we're having Captivate at Rome just now! Fighting team had presentation for new future.
Maybe DS4, maybe UMvC3 Arcade Edition or maybe Super Street Fighter x Tekken. We'll have to wait until next week when the information embargo is lifted.

http://www.siliconera.com/2012/04/03/capcoms-ono-teases-fighting-team-had-presentation-for-new-future/

Joshelplex
Member Avatar
It's either something for Marvel or a new game. SFIV just has its amssive rebalancing, theyre basically done with it. They wont do a SSFxT since the update is already on the disk.

Ryoreiki
Member Avatar
Do not pursue.....
The bigger question are the new characters.

They already have:
Felicia-Catgirl
Talbain-Werewolf
Demitri-Vampire
Lilith and Morrigan-Succumbus
Bishamon-Tsukumogami
Huitzil-Robot
Q. Bee-Queen Bee
B.B. Hood-Little Red Riding Hood
Pyron-Alien
Marionette-Pretty much speaks for itself
Shadow
Sasquatch-Bigfoot
Victor-Frankenstein's Monster
Anakaris-Pharoah/Mummy
Donovan-Evidently he's part Vampire and Part Human
Rikuo-Merman
Hsien-Ko-Chinese Vampire/Zombie. In particular, Jiang Shi
Lord Raptor-Zombie
Jedah-A demon, basically

Joshelplex
Member Avatar
They could start pulling more from myth if they needed to. They could do a Djinn, a Cyclops, a Hekatonchires, a Chupacabra, a Mongolian Death Worm or hell, they should totally do the Mothman. There's tons of stuff they can use. They can also theoretically use guys like Amingo and Ruby Heart who were apparently planned for a DS at some point.
Edited by Joshelplex, Apr 8 2012, 08:01 AM.

PhineBuyM3
Member Avatar
Commander
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
"The unannounced fighter would use a modified version of the SF X Tekken engine, which itself is modified off of the Street Fighter IV engine."

Why can't they just make a good ol' 2D game?

wodash
Member Avatar
undefeated in all directions
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Ryoreiki
Apr 8 2012, 03:01 AM
The bigger question are the new characters.

They already have:

B.B. Hood-Little Red Riding Hood

by this alone there's a lot of new possibilities, for all we know, DS/VS4 could be the Japanese version of Shrek:the fighting game, by adding a twisted pinnochio, alice, dorothy, rapunzel, prince charming, or anything else, you name it, and its possible to do in a cool way if they wanted to :ph43r:

and that's just the human characters, josephlex had covered the more inhuman ones already :popcorn:

plus they could always add in Ingrid, like all other out-of-idea capcom fighters pre-SFIV :kurokan:

PniheBuyM3

SFIV IS a 2d game, they only have 3D models, and you should already know the reason why:its easier and faster making models in 3d nowadays, and the last existing fully 2d, sprite based, capcom fighter engine is either oudtated(CPS3), or belongs to an outsourced company, and is also outdated (ASW's Sengoku Basara X)

there's no way they're going to waste money on making a completely new engine for a game that has not been a good source of cash for compared to SF

and lastly, Sony (of US?) hates 2D
Edited by wodash, Apr 8 2012, 03:47 PM.

PhineBuyM3
Member Avatar
Commander
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I know they're a good source of $$$ I just hate the ugly ass disproportionate bodies the characters have on that engine, it makes me sick.

Joshelplex
Member Avatar
PhineBuyM3
Apr 8 2012, 02:48 PM
"The unannounced fighter would use a modified version of the SF X Tekken engine, which itself is modified off of the Street Fighter IV engine."

Because everyone has moved on and acknowledged that sprites are crappy. They're horrifically time consuming just to look decent (KoF XII/XIII) or else they animate like crap (all of ASWs stuff INCLUDING Blazblue). Models are far easier, cheaper, and less limiting.

Flashbang Incentive
Member Avatar
Emperor's Retainer
Joshelplex
Apr 9 2012, 12:46 AM
PhineBuyM3
Apr 8 2012, 02:48 PM

Because everyone has moved on and acknowledged that sprites are crappy. They're horrifically time consuming just to look decent (KoF XII/XIII) or else they animate like crap (all of ASWs stuff INCLUDING Blazblue). Models are far easier, cheaper, and less limiting.
It depends what style they're going for. To disregard sprites completely is very stupid.

Persona 4: Arena and KOFXIII look fantastic.

Joshelplex
Member Avatar
KoF XIII looks okay at best, they animate reasonably smoothly but lack of a lot of detail. All of ASWs stuff looks nice but animates poorly, P4A continues that trend.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Fighting Games · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Composed & Designed by, ©KOEI Warriors, 2005-2014. All rights reserved.