Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to KOEI Warriors (Forum). We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls.

As a member you will also have access the exclusive Members Only Section where you will be privvy to a wide range of KOEI Warriors Renders, OSTs and Videos.
Registration is simple, fast, and completely free!

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features!

Username:   Password:
Poll Only
so, what do you think of my little theory?
I think its creative, and it sort of makes their inclusion make a bit more sense. 18 (46.2%)
I don't think that's what KOEI had in mind, but its creative 19 (48.7%)
*insert immature rant about guest characters taking another characters spot* 2 (5.1%)
Total Votes: 39
Theory as to the reason for the guest characters inclusion
Topic Started: Dec 3 2011, 10:55 AM (1,894 Views)
Ixbran
Member Avatar
Legend
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
hey everyone, while i was watching an anime a thought came to mind, and thought I'd share it. and Yes it dose have something to do with WO3, in particular, its a theory as to why they included the guest characters they did.

also, those of you who hope that the guest characters only have minor roles, you may not want to read this;

As we all know the WO series is about incorporating Japanese and and Chinese historical figures in a fictional setting with Myth and Legend of their respective countries, ya?

One of the things they have yet to incorporate are the Chinese Celestial Constellation Spirits:
  • Suzaku in Japanese, Zhu Que being its original Chinese name. The Vermilion Bird of Chinese Mythology, it represents the Element of Fire; the Direction of South; and the Season of Summer. It is also known as the
    "Vermilion Bird of the South".

• Genbu in Japanese, Xuan Wu being its original Chinese name. The Black Tortoise of Chinese Mythology, it represents the Element of Water; the Direction of North; and the Season of Winter. It is also known as the
    "Black Warrior of the North".

• Byakko in Japanese, Bai Hu being its original Chinese name. The White Tiger of Chinese Mythology. it represents the Element of Metal; the Direction of West; and the Season of Autumn. It is also known as the
    "White Tiger of the West".

• Seiryu in Japanese, Qing Long being its original Chinese name. The Azure Dragon of Chinese Mythology, it represents the Element of Wood; the Direction of East; and the Season of Spring. It is also known as the
    "Azure Dragon of the East".

• Koryu in Japanese, Huang Long being its original Chinese name. The Yellow Dragon of Chinese Mythology, it represents the Element of Earth; the Center; and the ability to change Seasons. It is also known as the
    "Golden Dragon of the Center".

I found my self wondering "Why don't they use these things, they would fit in perfectly with the WO theme ...", while watching an anime that focused on these spirits. and while watching i turned to look at the different characters for the new WO game. as while watching this anime on Netflix on my PS3, i was browsing the KOEI Wiki to see if any new information had sprouted up.

and while i was doing this i found my self looking at all the guest characters and i thought "What if the guest characters are here to represent the 5 spirits"? so i started listing a few things the characters could possibly have in common with the spirits; if maybe by name, fighting style, designs, personality; anything that could represent some sort of connection with a spirit. Here is what I've come up with;
  • Ryu Hayabusa = Seiryu/Qing Long
    Remember, Ryu is a member of the Hayabusa Clan, members of this clan happen to be called Dragon Ninja. It is also stated in the NG Games that they all have the blood of dragons flowing in their veins. This makes him the prime candidate for Seiryu/Qing Long.

• Joan of Arc = Suzaku/Zhu Que
    Suzaku/Zhu Que is often times, in games, represented as a bird engulfed in fire. Often times resembling that of a Phoenix, and what is the prime directive of a Phoenix; Rejuvenation, Healing and Rebirth. I feal that Joan represents Suzaku/Zhu Que due to her connection to the Catholic Faith. She wishes for nothing but to help those who are in need, and feels that this need to fight is due to her being a Maid of God.
    (a Maid of God is the female equivalent of a Male Saint, or so according to a friend of mine. The only other known Maid to have ever served god was the mother of Jesus, Mary.)
    Also, connecting Joan of Arc to the Vermilion Bird, a Phoenix like Bird shrouded in fire, is fitting due to the fact that at the age of 19, Joan was burned at the steak by the English Empire after having been captured by the English armed forces.

The English refused to believe that Joan was a Maid of God. Due to the fact that the Catholic Faith had originated in England (or so that's what is believed). They did not like the Idea of their own god sending someone to conquer their kingdom, so had her burned at the steak under false charges of Which Craft and Heresy. 100 years later she was given a re-trial and was found innocent. This fits the aspect of a Phoenix due to the concept of Rebirth.

• Achilles = Genbu/Xuan Wu
    I feel Achilles is the perfect Candidate for Genbu/Xuan Wu due to his fierce personality. the black tortoise is also often called the "Black Warrior", and i feel this would fit Achilles perfectly. In both personality and fighting style, that massive shield of his could easily be seen as a Tortoise Shell.

• Ayane = Byakko/Bai Hu
    I feel Ayane best suits the Tiger due to her personality and speed. Byakko/Bai Hu is, despite being attributed to the element of Metal in Chinese Lore, is often times associated with Wind and Speed within fiction; such as books, games and movies. So i feel Ayane is prime candidate for Byakko/Bai Hu, not only due to her fast paced fighting style, but also her fierce unbreakable personality. Much like that of a Tiger on the prowl, as a trained Ninja assassin she never loses sight of her prey and always knows when the perfect time to strike her prey arises. and when she sees that chance, she goes for it without hesitation.

• Nemea = Koryu/Huang Long
    I feel Nemea is best candidate for Koryu/Huang Long is well .. look at him. His physical appearance is already of that of a Golden Dragoon. Not to mention he could be considered the most powerful of the guest characters due to his long life, and his demonic heritage. He is also noble, kind and when ever he goes into battle he wishes for all his comrades to always come back safe from harm. Almost every aspect of his personality is like that of Dragon Nobility.

But yea This is my theory, its quite possible they were brought into the conflict between humans and mystics vs Orochis demons, due to the fact they possibly contain the spirits of the 5 spirits within them. Their strength is possibly needed in order to finally beat Orochi's side for good.

and before anyone goes "how can Chinese spirits reside in non Chinese people?", let my say this; Its a video game. This sort of thing has been done plenty of times, applying the gods to non Chinese characters.

Maria, from Castlevania series, is capable of calling 4 of the spirits at will to fight for her, and shes of European descent.

4 of the 5 are used as the basis for four different countries who are at war with each other in SE's Final Fantasy Type-0.

and they also appear in various animes and often times come to Japanese people to use their powers, despite being Chinese spirits.

but yea, that's all i have to say on the matter, now that i got this off my chest feel free to tell me what you think. and if you have anything negative to say, feel free to say it but please do so in a polite manner, and please no swear words. thats all i ask.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Saber
Member Avatar
#hashtag

Lemme guess, you got the idea from Fushigi Yuugi, right? :sly:

I had the same idea in mind, but it seems unlikely anyways. Though it's still a good idea. ^_^
Offline Profile Goto Top

Ixbran
Member Avatar
Legend
I actually got the thought from watching the anime "Tokyo Majin"

but yea, thanks for your input

: )
Offline Profile Goto Top

Noah
Member Avatar
Roll over & Die!
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]

the guest character are cool but i still think they dont belong in orochi
it doesnt make sense to me
Offline Profile Goto Top

Wynter
Member Avatar
Let me see you move ♫
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Noah
Dec 3 2011, 11:26 AM
^THIS.

They arent cool and they have no place in the series. Next time, I hope KOEI cuts them and leave them be in their respected games.

Thats what I think Noah

------------------------
And to other members that gets annoyed because of what I posted, Get over it, its what I think, NOT YOU.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Ixbran
Member Avatar
Legend
Well, to each their own i suppose

I personally am glad they are in and am very looking forward to playing as them. I know once i get Joan, I'm going to play as her most

^ - ^

though I'm not sure about Ayane, i want to play as her, but maybe in something less revealing.

*shrug*
Offline Profile Goto Top

Scarlet Moon
Member Avatar
General
[ *  *  *  * ]
I think Edward would fit the "Black Warrior" more
Gilles de Rais "The Azure Dragon", and Hector "the White Tiger"
Offline Profile Goto Top

Viajeras
Member Avatar
you brought me to life
[ *  *  *  * ]
I like your theory, Ixbran, and I hadn't even considered it as a possibility. But it does make sense.

My own guess as to why they're included is to try and attract other gamers who don't play DW/SW, at least in the case of Ryu and Ayane.
Offline Profile Goto Top

cooljosh21
Member Avatar
Realest/Best
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
My God that was a long post that I refuse to read. But I think they added them because they want more people buying it who dont like the series. THeir little strategy is working too.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Nazshiaakk
Member Avatar
simple Taoist
[ *  *  * ]
hmmm... i like it.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Ixbran
Member Avatar
Legend
^ _ ^

thank you
Offline Profile Goto Top

Skode
Member Avatar
King of KW
Joan of Arc does fit the bird engulfed in flames (phoenix)... given she was burned at the stake
Offline Profile Goto Top

Ixbran
Member Avatar
Legend
first post edited with that new tidbit of info

thank you very much for reminding me of that Skode.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Noah
Member Avatar
Roll over & Die!
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
WynterRayn
Dec 3 2011, 11:31 AM
Noah
^THIS.

They arent cool and they have no place in the series. Next time, I hope KOEI cuts them and leave them be in their respected games.

Thats what I think Noah

------------------------
And to other members that gets annoyed because of what I posted, Get over it, its what I think, NOT YOU.
i was aiming at ryu and ayane btw
probably should've mention it before

but as for the other characters i couldnt care less
Offline Profile Goto Top

Last_Stallion
Member Avatar
Special Task Force A-01
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
First and foremost they're a marketing strategy to get fans of their respective series to be interested in the game.

Secondly, considering the Orochi games (and most crossovers) are mainly fan services, the guest characters act as fan service to the other fans. This is tied with my first reason.

---------------

To be honest, I'm not a big fan of their inclusion and would much rather prefer more original characters. I don't hate their inclusion, but I'm not exactly jumping for joy that they've been added.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Ixbran
Member Avatar
Legend
@Last_Stallion

i meant story wise

Offline Profile Goto Top

Joetri10
Member Avatar
I Wake Up, It's A Bad Dream...
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Its a marketing strategy.. Thats about it, its not very hard to figure out :wacko: ... Take the Super Smash series for example... They have a HUGE catalog of nintendo characters they could have but sometimes they choose odd characters just so the games can get more well known (Shout out to Fire Emblem!) and they choose Sonic and Snake because they knew it would attract people..

You are simply looking for something that isnt there

Simple rule..
Why have a certain character = Well why not?

Also i think we can all agree that whoever they choose to bring into this game, they wont bring any historical facts with them, they are simply names to Koei.. Heck, if Koei stayed true to the Novel in Dw, it would be a MUCH different game.
Edited by Joetri10, Dec 4 2011, 07:47 AM.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Last_Stallion
Member Avatar
Special Task Force A-01
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Ixbran
Dec 4 2011, 07:41 AM
@Last_Stallion

i meant story wise

I think it was marketing first, then story.

The story in WO was just Orochi getting people from DW and SW and making them fight against him for the lulz. Nothing complicated about that, and I think it's the same for WO3.

Koei-Tecmo saw this as their chance to include other characters from different franchises, have a fantasy-like reason to include them (see: Unrealistic) and knew it would make the respective fans interested in the game.

Offline Profile Goto Top

ChibiGingi
Member Avatar
By Primus, how horrifying!
WynterRayn
Dec 3 2011, 11:31 AM
Noah
^THIS.

Thats what I think Noah

------------------------
I ain't mad. I'm ecstatic that they're in this game no matter how people like you feel, that's all.

:shifty:

So, continue feeling how you feel. It makes no difference, whatsoever.

To original poster- That's rather interesting...
Online Profile Goto Top

Ixbran
Member Avatar
Legend
thank you kindly Chibi

Offline Profile Goto Top

Nazshiaakk
Member Avatar
simple Taoist
[ *  *  * ]
I woke up today thinking about this and I was like, "Waaaiiiit a sec... didn't Joan of Arc burn at the stake.... I gotta post this!!!!"
But, no... somebody beat me to it. lol

Still, that makes your theory, even if turns out to be just a theory, a lot more interesting. And personally, I wish it would turn out something like this in the game; it would make the guest characters a little less random (as long as they don't dominate the story, which I'm not too worried about).

Also. First Promo Video. Remember it had some kind of celestial wheel halfway through, past the montage of the previous WO games. It looked like a Zodiac thing. I thought it was pretty random. But if something like your theory came true, it might make sense then.

In the end, all I want is a great story. Something new and thought-out.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Anya
Member Avatar
♥˛
[ *  *  *  * ]
I like how two of the three poll options compliment your theory by callling it creative. Someone thinks highly of themselves. Kidding.

Sarcasm aside, I doubt Koei would put that much thought into the guest characters. If anything they would of done your theory into new mystics since they're more guarantee to be in any future Orochi titles, rather than the guests.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Sorccenobi
Member Avatar
General
[ *  *  *  * ]
Doesn't Koei already have three of those?
http://koeiwarriors.co.uk/dwds-characters.php
Offline Profile Goto Top

Ixbran
Member Avatar
Legend
not in warriors orochi
Offline Profile Goto Top

FuriousFerocity
Member Avatar
The Demon of Dragons
[ *  * ]
i've been playing warriors games and DOA for a decade now, and regardless of why they included guest characters, i think it's cool. the whole WO series is a cross-over, so i don't see a reason not to bring in fan-favorites from other games.

i just think they did it for that, but that's still a really cool and well thought out idea.
Offline Profile Goto Top

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Archives · Next Topic »
Poll Only

Composed & Designed by, ©KOEI Warriors, 2005-2014. All rights reserved.