Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Hello and welcome to KOEI Warriors (Forum), the official leading Rank 1 forum of ZetaBoards free online service of thousands of message boards aimed at video gaming; specifically the best KOEI TECMO fan site online! With over 35,000 forum members already a part of the community and millions of comments recorded! Thank you for visiting, we hope you enjoy the message board!

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. By signing up and experiencing KOEI Warriors message board you will have access to features that are member-only such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, voting in recognized polls, and more importantly discussion and the latest news from KOEI TECMO with fellow fans of their products. Our Members Only section via joining will grant you KOEI Warriors graphics, downloads and more.

We also have social network pages on Facebook, Twitter and a videos channel on YouTube, so please find us there.

If you need any help please don't hesitate to ask a member of staff/moderator. Thank you.

Regards,
KOEI Warriors Staff Team

Join our community at KOEI Warriors (Forum)!

Already a member? Welcome back, please login here and enjoy KOEI Warriors (Forum).

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Xu Shu; The conflicted strategist.
Topic Started: Wed May 30, 2012 4:29 am (18,837 Views)
Saber
Member Avatar
Slashitty slash slash
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Feeling the need to start a new characer topic. :hehe:

Posted Image
Xu Shu (style name: Yuanzhi)

An advisor to Cao Cao during the late Han Dynasty period. He initially served Liu Bei as a strategist before joining Cao Cao in 208 A.D. His main weapon is the Fist Sword, and he is voiced by Atsushi Kisaichi.

Several scans:
Character design
Concept art and game screens
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

SAMURAIWARRIOR 2010
Member Avatar
Sanada Yukimura knight
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
:mellow: I don't see a problem in adding this guy to DW7E I mean it's other warrior to use to beat the game with, the design seems awesome, it always nice to get new characters add to the roster so 10 / 10
@saber :2up: awesome job keep it up

Xalfrea
Member Avatar
Keyblade hero
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Xu Shu eh? Great add! His design does look basic, but as he's a strategist, it's fitting.

Given his affiliation with Shu, but being more known with Wei, I do wonder how it'll be handled. Unless we'll be given another "Xiahou Ba" situation.

Also, given he's an an Empires game, it's not likely we'll be seeing his character's full potential.

SAMURAIWARRIOR 2010
Member Avatar
Sanada Yukimura knight
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Xalfrea
Wed May 30, 2012 5:42 am
Xu Shu eh? Great add! His design does look basic, but as he's a strategist, it's fitting.

Given his affiliation with Shu, but being more known with Wei, I do wonder how it'll be handled. Unless we'll be given another "Xiahou Ba" situation.

Also, given he's an an Empires game, it's not likely we'll be seeing his character's full potential.
:mellow: good point Xalfrea putting him in the DW7E he won't show his full potential. -_- to be honest who is this guy I never heard of him until now :confused: . but serious awesome good start to DW7E new characters :P

Ryoreiki
Member Avatar
Do not pursue.....
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
That's another officer from the Famitsu Character Poll

1.Guo Jia
2.Yue Jin
3.Pang De
4.Xun Yu
5.Lu Su
6. Chen Gong
7.Xu Shu
8.Lu Kang
9.Yu Jin
10.Zhang Chunhua
11.Ma Yunlu

Honorable Mentions
Lu Lingqi (Lu Bu's Daughter)
Gao Shun
Guan Xing

Who's next?

Xalfrea
Member Avatar
Keyblade hero
...Huh. That's interesting. I practically forgot about that Famitsu poll.

Suddenly, the other people on there making it into the game doesn't seem so far-fetched.
-----------------------
Xu Shu first came to serve Liu Bei in the interim prior to Chang Ban and Chi Bi. At a certain point though, Xu Shu's mom was captured by Cao Cao and he was forced to work for him, working for Wei till the end of his days.

The ROTK gives further fiction; it was Xu Shu who recommended his friend Zhuge Liang to Liu Bei.

Oblivion
Member Avatar
Aimless Wanderer
Hmm, Xu Shu is actually a nice add if they take his ROTK story literally seeing as he lives to around the Northern Expeditions so he definitely has a lot of story potential...

I just don't know why Koei didn't add him in either the main game or XL seeing as Empires would probably be the worst game to showcase a character rich in story potential unless they go the route of SW3:E...

If he does get a story, I would expect him to have prominent roles at Xinye, Chibi and the campaign against Ma Chao and also complete the trio friendship between him, Zhuge Liang and Pang Tong...

His design seems to be a mixture of other characters and I initially saw him as a clone of Ma Dai with Jia Xu's costume... not a bad piece

As to the list, that's a lot of strategists among them... personally, I want Xun Yu and Lu Su the most out of them... well, Lu Lingqi would be nice to...
Edited by Oblivion, Wed May 30, 2012 6:02 am.

SAMURAIWARRIOR 2010
Member Avatar
Sanada Yukimura knight
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Xalfrea
Wed May 30, 2012 5:55 am
...Huh. That's interesting. I practically forgot about that Famitsu poll.

Suddenly, the other people on there making it into the game doesn't seem so far-fetched.
-----------------------
Xu Shu first came to serve Liu Bei in the interim prior to Chang Ban and Chi Bi. At a certain point though, Xu Shu's mom was captured by Cao Cao and he was forced to work for him, working for Wei till the end of his days.

The ROTK gives further fiction; it was Xu Shu who recommended his friend Zhuge Liang to Liu Bei.
-_- I see so he was one of Liu bei's Generals that make since but Warlord Cao Cao use his mom as bait to force him to defected to Wei :hmmm: now that was low even for a warrior to do that even if it did happen back then <_<

Ryoreiki
Member Avatar
Do not pursue.....
Makes for a good backstory doesn't it?

Paragon of Light
Member Avatar
The Comeback King
THe problem, like Xalfera said, is that he's kind of like xiahou ba. He's put on one faction but is serves another for a really long length of time to cancel it out. I mean, I'mt not against any new adds but still, his potential really won't be recognized in empires when there were others who could easily fit the spot.

Still, its good that he's in and possibly means more characters from the poll.

BlackKite
Member Avatar
長宗我部菜々

Oblivion
Wed May 30, 2012 5:56 am
Hmm, Xu Shu is actually a nice add if they take his ROTK story literally seeing as he lives to around the Northern Expeditions so he definitely has a lot of story potential...

I just don't know why Koei didn't add him in either the main game or XL seeing as Empires would probably be the worst game to showcase a character rich in story potential unless they go the route of SW3:E...

If he does get a story, I would expect him to have prominent roles at Xinye, Chibi and the campaign against Ma Chao and also complete the trio friendship between him, Zhuge Liang and Pang Tong...
Come to think about it, in DW7(+XL) there was a cutscene that featured generic Xu Shu (Shu Xinye stage). If they were to add him, there would need to be a major revamp for that specific scene, which Koei must have deemed too much effort.

(Meanwhile in Guo Jia's case, since he didn't appear in a DW7 cutscene, it was very easy to just record unique voices and swap generic with unique looks, hence a unique Fengxiao is visible in Mixjoyed/Remixed Xiapi story stage)
Edited by BlackKite, Wed May 30, 2012 6:34 am.

SAMURAIWARRIOR 2010
Member Avatar
Sanada Yukimura knight
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
:mellow: I remember now who he is now I'am correct before Zhuge liang the sleeping dragon went into liu bei's army. Xu Shu was bei's advisor then he was tricked into defecting to wei by Cao Cao .I watch the ROTK anime it totally makes since now. :yes:

:shifty: as for the poll bring it lets get a much warriors of the list, :huh: but to be honest now sure who they're :P

-_- as for Xu shu himself being in DW7E I think koei made a awesome first pick, let see who comes next :sly:

SnowMan
Member Avatar
"This is no good, no good at all."
Wait, for what game has this character been announced? I'm not a big fan of this add, there are way too many characters that should be in over Xu Shu.

EDIT: Nevermind, it's Empires.
Edited by SnowMan, Wed May 30, 2012 6:58 am.

Deleted User
Deleted User

I'm not really excited by his addition. I knew there would be at least 1 new character, but
I really expected a Other character. *coughYuanShucough* :whistle: He looks like Ma Dai and Magoichi (or it's just me?). However, I like his outfit, and I guess he will have a second outfit with a different color (certainly blue), since he joins Wei shortly after his service in Shu.

Bad point though; he's going to be another Xiahou Ba. :kurokan:

We'll have to wait probably until DW8 to see his full potential.
Quote Post Goto Top

Biki
Member Avatar
Blank Space
[ *  *  *  * ]
He looks like he could be a potential favourite of mine. But if he's a person who's a sadist like Cai Wenji -_-

Yoshinushi
Member Avatar
By Odin's Beard!
Hmm... Looks oddly generic... Like a really boring version of Ma Dai, with SB Ieyasu's haircut?

Saber
Member Avatar
Slashitty slash slash
Better quality scans of Xu Shu:

Character design
Game screenshot

WarHawk
Member Avatar
Where did bandana go?
Very curious to see his contribution to Shu story, but it`s Empires, so not earlier than DW8 I guess (and curious about his stages). As for his look "lively priest". He also reminds me Ma Dai, but his more serious version.

The Outsider
Member Avatar
The Demon's Rival
He looks what I expected of Xu Shu. However I did want Jian Yong in terms of an earlier Shu character. Apart from that considering the majority of his career is with Wei it seems odd for 'Blue' not to be his main color. Also, I'm worried also when he does join Wei the strategists are going to become quite convoluted (Guo Jia, Xu Shu, Jia Xu and even Sima Yi to an extent, never mind the possibility of Xun Yu joining the roster with how high he was voted on the poll). If I'm going to be honest I really like the guy's erm, face :unsure: . He looks nice, I just believe his role should have gone to Jian Yong personally.

Outlaw Gentleman
Member Avatar
I Am Simply Crestfallen
[ *  *  *  * ]
Ryoreiki
Wed May 30, 2012 5:51 am
That's another officer from the Famitsu Character Poll

1.Guo Jia
2.Yue Jin
3.Pang De
4.Xun Yu
5.Lu Su
6. Chen Gong
7.Xu Shu
8.Lu Kang
9.Yu Jin
10.Zhang Chunhua
11.Ma Yunlu

Honorable Mentions
Lu Lingqi (Lu Bu's Daughter)
Gao Shun
Guan Xing

Who's next?
going by that list i hope its chen gong,or yue jin

Li_An_Di
Member Avatar
I'm heading up in the world!
Happy with this add and it is a pleasant surprise too. I love his design, its simple but effective for his strategist role. His weapon sounds pretty interesting so looking forward to seeing the moveset. His back story is pretty good, so they may include some story aspects in this one (just a guess) or via conversations at specific years etc.

Off Topic:

I'd say from the poll Lu Su might be added next to give an add for Wu (or Lu Kang, but would love Zhu Ran :P)

SaoSao
Member Avatar
First Lieutenant
[ *  *  * ]
who?

is he that one that helped liu bei and the gang after the level guan du for shu in dw7. if i remember rightly, you played as zhang fei in that next level.

edit:
wait a sec, this guy is wei!? i wikipedia him. why is he wearing green?
Edited by SaoSao, Thu May 31, 2012 2:36 am.

Paragon of Light
Member Avatar
The Comeback King
He is mostly known for serving Liu Bei in the battle of Xinye but then has to move to work for Cao Cao because his mother got captured. In that sense he, like many others have said, is Xiahou ba-esque because of that.

Dongzhou
Supreme Warrior-Scholar
Clothing nice but slightly seen it all before, I like the facial hair and spiky hair which nicely reflects his pre-scholar days.

In terms of him as an add, does seem like a Fatisuma based poll choice rather then a particularly strong choice. Can't say I'm particularly happy with this choice, more slightly bemused. Personality is doable, the former swordsman turned serious scholar whose past won't let him forget and who loves his mum. Judging by the look, they might not go for the serious part. I'm not sure he is a particularly good add, yes he plays a decent part in Shu's rise (Liu Bei's first novel strategist) and wins one battle for them against the novel Cao Cao... then he leaves. Add in the Chi Bi chat with Pang Tong. Then that's it. In history, he serves as a law officer and in novel, he refuses to serve Wei so it ends there. The Chi Bi scene can be done by a cut-scene, the battle against Cao Ren though gets absorbed into Bowang Po so what battles is he going to have? I can see Bowang, Chang Ban and Chi Bi, then what do they do with him?

The biggest issue is the Wei/Shu/Xu Shu's mother issue. Personally, I would suggest just following history: his mother falls into Wei hands at Chang Ban, Xu Shu considers duty to family and lord before picking family, serves Wei ( we can ignore lack of battles part of that). They can jazz up the heart-ache of making the decision, weepy farewells and so on, in later battles then can be scenes between him and Shu guys, hopefully without insulting Wei. If they do that, might want to balance it with one of ex-Wei officers sometimes missing his old kingdom.

What I worry is they will go the novel route.
in case anyone is reading the novel
It's a good tale, makes Wei evil and thus makes Shu look better, it has clever schemes, it should have more emotional power, as long as you don't find the mother the most annoying character in the book, the after-effect could be great for Xu Shu's story. However I see two problems: 1) the mother. The wise, virtuous woman came across badly for me in the novel but fair enough, others like her. However I suspect such a hard lady who might get only one or two scenes could come across very badly, I think they would have to change her personality. 2) It would send Wei back to the kingdom of evil rather then the kingdom of well-meant ruthlessness. It will alter the balance, Shu has always been the goodies but DW Wei has moved away from evil towards a more ruthless but well-meaning alternative. The act here is one of those things that I don't think koei can attempt to do if they wish Wei to remain as an alternative rather then evil, it is such an unpleasant deed.
Edited by Dongzhou, Thu May 31, 2012 7:52 pm.

SnowMan
Member Avatar
"This is no good, no good at all."
See, this is why I think the Japanese fans are delusional. He really doesn't have anything to do other than that one appearance for Shu, why did they want him in the game?

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Character Specific Discussions · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Composed & Designed by, ©KOEI Warriors, 2005-2017. All rights reserved.