Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to KOEI Warriors (Forum). We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls.

As a member you will also have access the exclusive Members Only Section where you will be privvy to a wide range of KOEI Warriors Renders, OSTs and Videos.
Registration is simple, fast, and completely free!

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Drakengard; Cavia's sick grim-dark musou-like fantasy epic.
Topic Started: Feb 26 2013, 03:09 AM (508 Views)
Mibu Kyoshiro
Member Avatar
Awesome!
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Surprised no one talked about this game and it's series yet.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Basically it's the story of a lad,a warrior / dragon rider with immense bloodlust,reveangence-levels of hate and his dragon,in a total crapsack world almost worse than that of Berserk's where his inabillity to speak and his sister's life being threatend due to it being connected to the stability of the cosmos are the least of his problems.Joining them are his obsessed maniac of a friend,his immensly incestuous sister and seal of the world,a pedophile blind priest who even dares to abandon you during a raid of goblins due to...obligations,an ax crazy elf whose womb was destroyed and has since then become a baby and child-eating menace to the universe...literally,along with a young boy who cannot age and is stuck in an androgynus 6-year old body,all in one party.The endings range from being from plain ludicrous to being bittersweet at absolute best.Bokurano and Narutaru got nothing on that story.

Thankfully,the sequel gets much better.It even leads to some really heartwarming moments actual character sympathy among others in terms of lighter story.Still a crapsack,but with the light of hope grwoing stronger by the stage.

As far as gameplay goes,it combines elements of the Musou series mostly and Panzer Dragoon,rather sucessfully,with the first having far too many attributes of a Warriors game and the most notable exception being the change between weapons and the weapons changes as they leveled up,which was was great and intuicive as a level up system in this kind of game.Other than that,it was a solid based and mixed action,aerial shoot'em ups and some great storytelling well enough.

The next game almost got rid of all the problems the first one had,improved the combat and put in a lot more thought in it this time,as well as lightening up the colours,offering more standard palyers,more weapons and better leveling system sans the appearance changing level ups of weapons :/ ...thankfully stats are increased and help.The game is now nearly sand-box like and doesn't have any timer like the stages in the Warriors series,plus the characters and weapons get to level up mid-combat.Dragon combat has also been improved as well.

Generally,it's a really nice set of games and the second I could being the base of an actual Action-RPG rendering of the Breath of Fire series,if they toned down the numbers a bit.If you like the grim-dark fantasy of Berserk,the combat of Panzer Dragoon and the Warriors soundtracks and just want to hear some epic,chill enducing grandiose soundtrack while doing so,these games are right up your alley.

One last thing,Square Enix,the copyright owner of the franchise released last year a game called WyrmRider,a spiritual sequel to the games and an iOS title but renewed very easily the license for this series this year.Here's hoping that we may get some Drakengard.As much as it pains me that Cavia's not around,I have faith in SE's Type-0,Dissidia and generally Nomura-based teams of the last 4 years to make a worthy sequel or spiritual sequel of the games.

PS : Also,I hope Capcom would that stick out of their butts and actually made a Breath of Fire like that. :wub:
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

RPGNoZero
Member Avatar
Han's Unifier
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
haha, this series is one of my favorite EVER. Especially when combined with NIER (pseudo sequel of Drakengard 1)

Caim and Angelus are one of the most badass protagonist

yeah, the gameplay has many flaws, but one thing that makes you keep playing is the story... it's dark and really unpredictable. Twisted dying world, and dragons haha
After playing this, honestly i can't get to play any other RPG titles for weeks... they can't get me excited as much as Drakengard.

But yeah, too bad Cavia is not around anymore. And Toro Yoko has no team yet. i hope for him in the future.
And if there's Drakengard 3 or any other pseudo-sequel, it MUST be from him!! he really is the master of non-mainstream. I don't want this series ruined by making it into another FF or any JRPG.
Drakengard 2 has different director, and you can see that it totally feels more generic compared to the first game

also, the game is REALLY HARD compared to most Warriors game, especially Ending E is just...
Edited by RPGNoZero, Feb 26 2013, 03:52 AM.

Greyjoy
Member Avatar
Ghost of Winterfell.
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
This series was simply great. I remember playing it as a child and besides Diablo, this game was my first dark and mysterious game ever. The atmosphere was very interesting, the characters were interesting, and the gameplay was new and great. ( Not Hack and Slash new, but the way it played out. )

ChibiGingi
Member Avatar
How can I sneeze if I have no nose?
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
The only redeeming factor in this entire series for me was Daran Norris playing the deadpan singing Evil Mana.

Cosmo and Mr. Turner from Fairly Oddparents... playing a little girl.

The first ending and the sequel, I didn't mind. Anything after the first ending in the first game? It can bite me. XD

wodash
Member Avatar
undefeated in all directions
the game has a lot of ambitious concepts, but fails to exectue them, the first game has great characters, but still gameplay is very, very stiff and feels very unfinished, since other characters that is not caim are pretty much very time limited a la OP musou(but at least in OP musou you can actually play as your allies full time eventually by unlocking them, no such thing in drakengard1)

but still, i quite enjoy my time playing it, the crazy boss battles in the end including that one boss where you need to use soundwaves are amusing at best, also, cavia's easter egg: the SU-47(they are soon known as makers of the Ace Combat portable series, great titles, even when compared to Assault Horizon)

as for the 2nd installment, they seem to fix the gameplay & party problem by giving a more fluid gameplay and letting us tag between 2~3 characters, but it just doesn't feel as epic, gritty, or likeable as the first game, all of drakengard1 characters feels awesome in concept when compared witht the sequel's characters, especially the main protag

hence, i didn't manage to finish the game and got sidetracked with other games/things to do, i didn't even reach the part when the main character gets that devil trigger mode-thing that's on the OP movie

and fret not, we already have a drakengard-like coming our way a few months away on PS3, it's called "kamen rider ryuuki burning the crap out of mooks while riding atop his dragon~bike~thing in HD!!" a.k.a Battride War
Edited by wodash, Feb 26 2013, 01:03 PM.

Mibu Kyoshiro
Member Avatar
Awesome!
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
^Hope Ryuki's Survive kind of has the going for the form,hopefully.

As for the 2nd installement,I could get behind the combat far more easilly,but despite not being grittilly grim-dark epic,the characters traded that in for likabillity...and while I wouldn't have problems being a Guts-type,I suppose I could behind a BoF Ryu one.His last form is like one of the final dragon forms from BoF4 actually,more than anything.

The gameplay alone though makes the 2nd game great,it really is worth finishing,if only for the gameolay,kind of like Nayuta no Kiseki from Falcom.Horrible story execution but the rest is so amazing it's almost a sin to just drop it if you own it.

Wandrian
Member Avatar
---
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Aw man, do I have a soft spot for the characters and writing of the first game. It's all so tragic and such a downer, it's wonderful.

Andreas-andi
Emperor's Retainer
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I have played the game. The game is fun.

Catallena
Member Avatar
OCTOPUSSY
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
http://www.siliconera.com/2013/03/12/original-drakengardnier-team-reunites-for-drakengard-3/

http://www.siliconera.com/2013/03/13/drakengard-3-is-being-made-by-deadly-premonition-developer-access-games/

Yay. :) I always wanted to play the games but could never find them in store T-T Might as well try the third one though ;D
Edited by Catallena, Mar 13 2013, 09:11 AM.

Daosiying
道士英
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
How I've waited so long for a Drakengard 3. My hopes were largely dashed after I found out Cavia shut down.

But alas they've reassembled most of the original guys behind Drakengard and NieR so I can rest assured that the dark story and fantasy elements are going to be present. The combat may stand to be better this time too since it's being sourced to the guys who made Lord of Arcana.

Nice to see that the main characters are sisters this time instead of a male. Caim was awesome, but Nowe was just all sorts of pandering to the wrong audience. I do wonder what gender the new dragon's going to be though. The chemistry between the hero and dragon of the previous two games always entertained me.
Edited by Daosiying, Mar 13 2013, 09:55 AM.

RPGNoZero
Member Avatar
Han's Unifier
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
yeaaaaaaah!!!! cannot wait for dragon and GIANT BABIES

wodash
Member Avatar
Ugh.....Access Games, they've ruined the PSP SB games, and their first "lord of..." game was so hilariously awful that it bombed, the sequel/expansion, which is miles better like SB3 to Utage also shares the same fate of not being localized despite being a decent game.

the only thing that they didn't suck at is at making Ace Combat portable series, which is still one of the best AC titles at this moment

Muffykins
Member Avatar
The Fab and the Furious
[ *  *  *  * ]
Well, this topic's certainly been inactive. A lot's happened since the last post, but in summary:

Drakengard 3 was released 12/19/2013 in Japan.
It's been confirmed for a worldwide release since then; on 5/20/2014, specifically. North America can only get physical copies through the Square-Enix Store, Europe only gets digital copies.
Collector's edition announced, again only through the Squeenix online store and only for NA.
Posted Image
Of note are the three pre-order bonuses hinted at in that image; there will be three waves of preorder bonuses. The first wave, available if you preorder from now until March 3, includes the Japanese voices and two as-of-yet-unannounced bonuses. If you preorder from March 3 until April 4, you just get the two unannounced bonuses. If you preorder from April 4 until release, you just get one of the two unannounced bonuses.

Erazor
Member Avatar
Sergeant
[ * ]
I own the original Drakengard, but haven't played it much. Usually due to the release of something I was more excited to play.

I recently picked up 3, but haven't touched it because I don't want to commit to what could be a very long game, only to have Hyrule Warriors release and pull me away from it. I just wanted to pick it up while my local Gamestop still had it in stock.
Edited by Erazor, Sep 9 2014, 04:33 PM.

wodash
Member Avatar
Erazor
Sep 9 2014, 04:33 PM
I own the original Drakengard, but haven't played it much. Usually due to the release of something I was more excited to play.

I recently picked up 3, but haven't touched it because I don't want to commit to what could be a very long game, only to have Hyrule Warriors release and pull me away from it. I just wanted to pick it up while my local Gamestop still had it in stock.
it's ironic how right now, instead of a sequel to Drakengard 3 for the TGS, SE spent money to pay KT instead to make them a Hyrule Warriors clone, which also had the moniker "dragon" on it,

Drakengard used to be SE's attempt to answer the musou market with their version of it, sadly, all 3 games failed to deliver that(all in different aspects, what Drakengard 1 had in spades, did not carry over to the sequels, which had their own fan-repelling problems), but after DQ Heroes, it seems that SE had given up on making their own musoulikes...

Erazor
Member Avatar
Sergeant
[ * ]
It's a shame really. The Musou-meets-StarFox gameplay of the first one was pretty fun. I made sure to buy 3 close to release because I wanted to support the series in the vain hope that SE would do something other than re-release Human Revolution and Tomb Raider for the billionth time.

Instead, what I got was a re-release of Sleeping Dogs.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · Warriors-like Games · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Composed & Designed by, ©KOEI Warriors, 2005-2014. All rights reserved.