Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Hello and welcome to KOEI Warriors (Forum), the official leading Rank 1 forum of ZetaBoards free online service of thousands of message boards aimed at video gaming; specifically the best KOEI TECMO fan site online! With over 35,000 forum members already a part of the community and millions of comments recorded! Thank you for visiting, we hope you enjoy the message board!

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. By signing up and experiencing KOEI Warriors message board you will have access to features that are member-only such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, voting in recognized polls, and more importantly discussion and the latest news from KOEI TECMO with fellow fans of their products. Our Members Only section via joining will grant you KOEI Warriors graphics, downloads and more.

We also have social network pages on Facebook, Twitter and a videos channel on YouTube, so please find us there.

If you need any help please don't hesitate to ask a member of staff/moderator. Thank you.

Regards,
KOEI Warriors Staff Team

Join our community at KOEI Warriors (Forum)!

Already a member? Welcome back, please login here and enjoy KOEI Warriors (Forum).

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Gundam Build Fighters Series; Build Fighters Try airing October 2014
Topic Started: Tue Jul 2, 2013 7:04 am (19,310 Views)
Xalfrea
Member Avatar
Keyblade hero
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGA_xKm95zg

Posted Image

Posted Image

From the most recent Gundam press con from Bandai, they revealed the next Gundam animated series. Which seems to remove the war aspect of the show and uses Gunplas. Gundam Build Fighters.

Think of that Gunpla Builders OVA from before, except now its a TV series. After a bunch war and angst ridden TV series that arguably had much failure as success, I'm welcoming this series as a massive breather.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2013-07-02/gundam-build-fighters-tv-anime-to-premiere-in-october

Quote:

n a Tuesday presentation, Sunrise announced Gundam Build Fighters, a new Gundam television anime series that will premiere this October on TV Tokyo. The series will feature not only new mecha designs, but also customized designs from previous Gundam projects such as Build Strike Gundam (Gundam Seed), Zaku Amazing (first Gundam), Wing Gundam Fenice (Gundam W), and Gundam X Maō (Gundam X). The anime will tie into an HG Build Fighters model kit line that encourages customization with the accompanying HG Build Custom line of accessories.

The story is set in the near future when GunPla Battles, competitions that pit Gundam plastic models against each other, have become popular worldwide in the "Second GunPla Boom." Sei Iori (pictured above), a first-year middle-school student and the only son of a model shop owner, is talented at building GunPla, but inexperienced in the GunPla Battles. He encounters a mysterious boy named Reiji (pictured below) who happens to be an accomplished Gundam Fighter. Together, they strive for the GunPla Battle world championships. Sei's customized GunPla is the Build Strike Gundam (pictured above).

Other characters include Tatsuya Yūki (pictured below), the model club president and resident campus "idol" at Sei's school. He is talented at both GunPla building and GunPla Battles, and he already placed in the last GunPla Battle world championships. His nickname is the "Crimson Comet," and his GunPla of choice is the Zaku Amazing.

China Kōsaka (pictured below) is a first-year school girl at Sei's academy and a member in both the class council and art club. Her family runs the Kōsaka restaurant.

Kenji Nagasaki (No. 6) is drecting off scripts supervised by Yousuke Kuroda (Gundam 00). Kenichi Ohnuki (Mobile Suit Gundam Seed C.E.73: Stargazer, Haruka: Beyond the Stream of Time – A Tale of the Eight Guardians, Garzey's Wing) is designing the characters in collaboration with Suzuhito Yasuda (Yozakura Quartet, Durarara!!, Devil Survivor 2 The Animation). The mecha designer roster includes Kunio Okawara, Junichi Akutsu, Junya Ishigaki, Kanetake Ebikawa, and Kenji Teraoka.
Edited by Xalfrea, Tue Jul 2, 2013 7:15 am.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

BlackKite
Member Avatar
長宗我部菜々

My first impression when looking at this: Gundam meets Danball Senki. And this happens right after Hino participated for AGE, lol

Well they're trying to invite the new generation of children into Gundam, so I guess that's how it goes. And for the more serious projects like Gundam Origin, those will be announced next year, so yeah well.

Re4_Wesker
Member Avatar
Antagonist?
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
At the least i'll be looking forward to some nice mobile suit variants. Hopefully this will be a refreshing change of pace.

Xalfrea
Member Avatar
Keyblade hero
Apparently there's a G Gundam aspect floating around where, in this world, each country has a national Gunpla champion. The green Wing Gundam is utilized by a champion from Italy.

They also went into detail about how this world works, where prior to this series, some special particles are discovered to react to a completed Gunpla with a model base. Hence why when they insert it into that machine it comes to life.

Here's a trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bAqhMkK_BYE

See the different Gundams and MS you can spot. Because of the concept of Gunplas, we can expect to see tons of differnet MS's from across the franchise. We've got from MSG, G, Wing, 08th MS Team, X, Turn A and SEED. Even the freaking SD Knight Gundam is there.
Edited by Xalfrea, Tue Jul 2, 2013 12:08 pm.

wodash
Member Avatar
undefeated in all directions
the Gundam age game is already a Danball Senki with Gundam skins, this show however, is literally danball senki gundam

i duuno about you, but with Breakers, and now this, i think Gundam is now just toys, with games instead of an actual anime series...
Edited by wodash, Tue Jul 2, 2013 1:08 pm.

Lazaroth
Member Avatar
Connoisseur
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Now makes sense the Gundam Breaker game, but It's strange this new turn in the series. They've made the first move with AGE but I wasen't expecting this.

Now give'me my GM4 !

Xalfrea
Member Avatar
Keyblade hero
I'm not speaking of people on here, but I just generally speak of some places on the Internet.

I honestly, truly marvel at how, whenever a new Gundam product is announced, people call it the worst thing ever and say that it's worse than the preceding series. It happened with 00, with Gunpla Builders, with AGE, and now with Build Fighters.

When I'm not laughing at how this is such a huge massive joke of a fanbase, I find it a wonder that many can turn their loyalties so quickly. Even Final Fantasy doesn't get it this bad.

PhineBuyM3
Member Avatar
Han's Unifier
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Xalfrea
Tue Jul 2, 2013 2:31 pm
I'm not speaking of people on here, but I just generally speak of some places on the Internet.

I honestly, truly marvel at how, whenever a new Gundam product is announced, people call it the worst thing ever and say that it's worse than the preceding series. It happened with 00, with Gunpla Builders, with AGE, and now with Build Fighters.

When I'm not laughing at how this is such a huge massive joke of a fanbase, I find it a wonder that many can turn their loyalties so quickly. Even Final Fantasy doesn't get it this bad.
It also happened with Seed and Destiny, and didn't die down until 00 was conceived to take the heat. Actually, I think it started with Seed since no one talked crap about Turn A being the Anti-Christ back in the day when Seed was announced. You couldn't mention anything about Seed/Destiny without getting comments directed at you that were indistinguishable from death threats.

Edited by PhineBuyM3, Tue Jul 2, 2013 3:49 pm.

Eni
Member Avatar
BOOEH
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
And whats sadder is that Destiny still sucked, 00 S2 was still a trainwreck and AGE was a ambitious project that ended up being mediocre. You shouldnt prove your fans right in those points, Sunrise.

Anyways this new show might have a lotta new cool mobile suit variants, so count me in.

Wild Lion
Member Avatar
King For A Day, Fool For A Lifetime
I already like the designs we're getting.

Gunpla Builders was great fun, I expect no less from this.

HokutoNoBen
Member Avatar
Supreme Warrior-Scholar
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Well, I'm torn in some aspects.

On one hand, it's sad that it looks like we've come full circle, and Gundam is moving further away from telling compelling, semi-realistic war dramas and even more focused on the toy aspect than ever. It could mean that anything akin to Unicorn and Origin (for older audiences) will truly be the "second banana" in comparison.

...But on the other hand! Attempts to tell such dramas in the Gundam series have been so hit and miss within the last two decades, that maybe it's for the best that Bandai and Sunrise continue to do more to stick with what they know and focus on the marketable, "toyetic" aspect for all its worth. Maybe they'll be able to actually build something compelling in spite of it, for all I know.

Furthermore, I can't even front. The Gundam-related things I've enjoyed the most in the last few years has been Gundam Vs. and Gundam Breaker, both of which are games that joss practically everything relating to Gundam besides fanservice and sweet-ass robots. So I guess even I have changed with the times quite a bit.

necrosis
Member Avatar
シュマゴラス 無双
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Heh.......I'm more surprised by BK changing his ava more than the more toy focused series. Gundam as a "serious" series seems to have run its course a long time ago from a semi-outsider's perspective. I understand fully why some long time fans might be furious though.

SRS
Member Avatar
Bow before the Kingdom of Cheng!

And people wonder why I don't watch new Gundam shows anymore.

Xalfrea
Member Avatar
Keyblade hero
necrosis
Tue Jul 2, 2013 8:18 pm
Heh.......I'm more surprised by BK changing his ava more than the more toy focused series. Gundam as a "serious" series seems to have run its course a long time ago from a semi-outsider's perspective. I understand fully why some long time fans might be furious though.
Well, if there's any consolation, the dislikes in Youtube videos seem to be massively outweighed by those who do like the concept. So there's that.

And I agree with what everyone said. I can see why people hold the pre-2000's Gundam series in higher regard. Arguably this was back in the day when that message was more implied compared to the 2000 onwards main Gundam shows that had the protagonists constantly shout "UNDERSTANDING!" every other time, but that's nether here nor there. Don't get me wrong I sorta like SEED, like 00 and try to push AGE not being as bad as it was made out to be, but it can't be denied that things have gotten less subtle.

Hence why I'm happy we have Build Fighters, which seems so far to be deviating from the "serious" plots. Especially when one considers that a lot of Gundam fans watch mostly because of high octane robot action. There's plenty of other ways to get high octane robot action besides war slaughter. Storyline wise there's plenty of other ways to get your message across, and after 5 freaking seasonal runs featuring that same story element of unemotional young adults and/or teenagers, I think the script writers need to turn in their credentials and go back to school.

wodash
Member Avatar
undefeated in all directions
why can't they just Anime-fy EXA and be done with it? been waiting for that to happen for so long now...

Wild Lion
Member Avatar
King For A Day, Fool For A Lifetime
This is simply something to stall for time and gain a younger audience again while they work on Origin and G-Reko.

Don't get your panties in a twist.

SeanHiruki
Member Avatar
Six String Samurai
[ *  * ]
Looks like it will be fun. SOrt of like Gunpla G Gundam. I love me some G GUndam and Gunpla

Master Omega
Member Avatar
Lord of The World
Well, might as well give my thoughts on this now while I'm still working on the Gundam Cycle Analysis script.

I'm keeping an open mind as I did with AGE, but just like AGE I also have some preconceptions. One of them is that this could very well walk a fine line between campy/fun, and taking itself way too seriously. There's also the probability that it could be age neutral, being more for a general audience, or aimed primarily at kids, which would alienate people more. In short, while it's easy to see the possible outcomes, it's not when it comes to actually calling them.

SeanHiruki
Member Avatar
Six String Samurai
[ *  * ]
Alienate people? Me thinks you underestimate the power of kid shows and their accessibility to older audiences. There is a reason why super robot shows like Mazinger Z and Getter Robo which are shows for 10 year old boys, are now Mazinkaser and New Getter Robo which are now for people my age. It is because a good chunk of the fandom for those old shows are guys in their 20s.

Same reason why Avatar: The Last Airbender. There are as many adult fans of that show as there are child fans.

I have not seen AGE yet, but I love the idea of having a Gundam show for kids. Gundam has been getting hella melodramatic lately so I am assuming AGE is far more toned down.

Xalfrea
Member Avatar
Keyblade hero
I agree. I won't be surprised if the most "melodrama" we have in this show is the main character's Gunpla getting trashed by a vengeful rival.

And it'll be fun in its own way. Gundam does make for some nice drama, but frankly after a decade of drama that may or may not have even been executed well, we need a freaking breather. Looks like we have our equivalent of G Gundam for this decade.
----------------------------
Apparently, during the stage event, they toted Build Fighters as the "35th anniversary" show. I so want a shot of the main protagonist Gundams appearing on the same screen. I want the Musha Gundams from DWG to appear. I want to see the Command Gundam (If it had a Gunpla). I want to see the likes of the Gundam Sentinel and Crossbone on screen. I want the SD Gundam Sangokuden's to appear. I want the Sengokuden Gundams to appear. I want to see endless possibilities because this Gunpla-oriented show is the prefect opportunity for ultimate Gundam fan service.

SeanHiruki
Member Avatar
Six String Samurai
[ *  * ]
Agreed. Actually I am assuming this will be like that OVA they released a few years ago "Gunpla Builders". Which had the best god damn idea for Gundam ever. There is a machine that you put your gunpla in and you sit in the cockpit. The your gundam becomes real inside the game and you fight another builder.

Master Omega
Member Avatar
Lord of The World
SeanHiruki
Thu Jul 4, 2013 2:35 pm
Alienate people? Me thinks you underestimate the power of kid shows and their accessibility to older audiences. There is a reason why super robot shows like Mazinger Z and Getter Robo which are shows for 10 year old boys, are now Mazinkaser and New Getter Robo which are now for people my age. It is because a good chunk of the fandom for those old shows are guys in their 20s.

Same reason why Avatar: The Last Airbender. There are as many adult fans of that show as there are child fans.

I have not seen AGE yet, but I love the idea of having a Gundam show for kids. Gundam has been getting hella melodramatic lately so I am assuming AGE is far more toned down.
You know what? I'll bite. I'll clarify my position so that you can REALLY understand why I worry.

"Childish" when used in this context refers to a distinct lack of meaningful conflict. You brought up Avatar, so let's use it as an example shall we? Avatar as a show is not manufactured to be solely for kids, there's a lot of meaningful discussions of philosophy, intense moments of character drama and development, and a sense of urgency to the plot. This is all combined with moments of levity and truly well done comedy makes the show readily open to multiple age groups, with the rating of TV-Y7 really meaning nothing in the end, other than signifying that the show has no adult content like death, sex, drugs and cursing.

Now, obviously Gundam Build Fighters certainly won't have the layout for that amount of depth. The combat has no risk, the adventure itself isn't very threatening, and as Xal pointed out, the very worst outcome is that the protagonist loses his model, or might alienate his friends by letting victory go to his head. This is what I mean when I say childish. . .no risk, no urgency, no need to care. This model is often used in shows that are aimed specifically to kids to market toys because it's easy to make and serves as a good marketing gimmick. But many of them circumvent the lack of urgency by either framing the toy/card game in a different context, or adding a fatalistic element to MAKE a conflict. But that doesn't seem to be the case here. So really, the big concern may be less that it's aimed at kids and more that due to the framing of the plot in such a marketing centric model that the conflict becomes devalued, and forces the characterization of the cast to compensate. Certainly this would alienate older fans who were looking for good conflicts on top of gunpla designs and action.

But, there's also the more obvious meaning behind "alienating" as Gundam fans in general tend to flip sh*t whenever you mention kids and Gundam in the same sentence. Not really so much my worry as Gundam AGE was slated to be for kids and guess how that turned out? All the naysayers were wrong. AGE wasn't bad because of pandering to kids. . .it was bad because the second half of the show was 00 S2 levels of bad. But it's still kinda ironic when people whine like children about a show being aimed at kids.

Kiskay
Member Avatar
First Lieutenant
[ *  *  * ]
I wish I could say I'm surprised but, after the success recent Gunpla Breakers video game (mix of dw gundam and gundam builders and probably the reason we won't see Gundam Musou 4...) it does make sense. Abeit, I still don't like it. I can only hope that after Unicorn is finished they will finally give us Orgins (retelling of MSG) in ova format.

Xalfrea
Member Avatar
Keyblade hero
People just continue to give grief to AGE because of the animation style, thinking that's for kids.

Bull...BULL. If there is one company to not underestimate when it comes to animation and good stories, it's Level-5. Heck, Professor Layton and the Unwound Future was the first video game where I was in tears.
------------------------------
A legit worry I can understand is Gundam turning into the likes of all those OTHER shows that treat an item that's obviously being used for merchandising with far more gravitas then they should have: Yu-Gi-Oh, Battle B Daman, Beyblade, Bakugan, Crush Gear, etc. In this case I can only hope that they story won't fall into the same rut, while at the same time trying to have fun with it.

As for Origin, that was announced at the stage event to be out next year (alongside the final Unicorn episode). Whether or not it's a TV show, movie or OVA is still up in the air. The Tomino penned series (Presumably G-Reko), will follow in the wake of Build Fighters.

SeanHiruki
Member Avatar
Six String Samurai
[ *  * ]
Master Omega
Thu Jul 4, 2013 5:28 pm
SeanHiruki
Thu Jul 4, 2013 2:35 pm

You know what? I'll bite. I'll clarify my position so that you can REALLY understand why I worry.

"Childish" when used in this context refers to a distinct lack of meaningful conflict. You brought up Avatar, so let's use it as an example shall we? Avatar as a show is not manufactured to be solely for kids, there's a lot of meaningful discussions of philosophy, intense moments of character drama and development, and a sense of urgency to the plot. This is all combined with moments of levity and truly well done comedy makes the show readily open to multiple age groups, with the rating of TV-Y7 really meaning nothing in the end, other than signifying that the show has no adult content like death, sex, drugs and cursing.

Now, obviously Gundam Build Fighters certainly won't have the layout for that amount of depth. The combat has no risk, the adventure itself isn't very threatening, and as Xal pointed out, the very worst outcome is that the protagonist loses his model, or might alienate his friends by letting victory go to his head. This is what I mean when I say childish. . .no risk, no urgency, no need to care. This model is often used in shows that are aimed specifically to kids to market toys because it's easy to make and serves as a good marketing gimmick. But many of them circumvent the lack of urgency by either framing the toy/card game in a different context, or adding a fatalistic element to MAKE a conflict. But that doesn't seem to be the case here. So really, the big concern may be less that it's aimed at kids and more that due to the framing of the plot in such a marketing centric model that the conflict becomes devalued, and forces the characterization of the cast to compensate. Certainly this would alienate older fans who were looking for good conflicts on top of gunpla designs and action.

But, there's also the more obvious meaning behind "alienating" as Gundam fans in general tend to flip sh*t whenever you mention kids and Gundam in the same sentence. Not really so much my worry as Gundam AGE was slated to be for kids and guess how that turned out? All the naysayers were wrong. AGE wasn't bad because of pandering to kids. . .it was bad because the second half of the show was 00 S2 levels of bad. But it's still kinda ironic when people whine like children about a show being aimed at kids.

You have good points and I agree for the most part. I guess I am a slightly easier to please Gundam fan than most, considering I actually like ZZ Gundam. Then again I also hate Wing and Seed Destiny.
Either way I am hoping for the best with this new show. The last Gunpla anime was very fun and had some inventive elements to it.

Xal: I am actually super excited for Origin. I love the 0079 films and the manga. Gundam Origin is a better paced version of the original series.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums with no limits on posts or members.
Learn More · Sign-up Now
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · General Gundam Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Composed & Designed by, ©KOEI Warriors, 2005-2017. All rights reserved.