Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Direct Connect: scod.game-server.cc
NWN List
Announcements
Welcome to the forums of Sigil: City of Doors. | New update 2/26/18 - read the update notes here!
Welcome to Sigil: City of Doors. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Multi-Quote Post on Multi-Quote Post off
Add Reply
Clone Spell And Coins Of Life; A bit of a weird question
Topic Started: May 4 2017, 09:45 AM (294 Views)
Serena
Member Avatar
Namer
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
If possible, I'd like to have a ruling on a situation I was considering:

A subject creates a clone of himself as per relative spell. They get killed, so their soul transfers to the clone as intended, but the clone gets killed immediately after: would, in this case, a Coin of Life (or any other raising method - not counting true resurrection for this specific situation) work, if applied to the original body, if we consider all of this happening in the span of few minutes?
Serena
+1 GMT

Rhistel Aidan || Klai La Shen || Cariel

Posted Image
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Xndar
Member Avatar
The Mechanus Cannon
Builders/scripters
Per 3.5 SRD:

Quote:

If the original individual has been slain, its soul immediately transfers to the clone, creating a replacement (provided that the soul is free and willing to return). The original’s physical remains, should they still exist, become inert and cannot thereafter be restored to life.

I'm fairly sure that the moment the soul is transferred to the clone body (which would occur more or less instantly after death I'd think), the original body becomes totally inert and an invalid target for resurrection/raising.

The new clone body would have to be the target of any Coin of Life in order for it to work properly.

MimiFearthegn
Member Avatar
Mistress of the Toolset / Player-Side Admin
Admin
If we're going by the definition of the Clone spell, the SRD says:

Quote:

The original’s physical remains, should they still exist, become inert and cannot thereafter be restored to life.

Which would suggest to me that as far as magic is concerned, the "real" body is the cloned body once the original body dies, and thus you'd have to use the coin of life on the cloned body to resurrect the unfortunate subject.

I am open to being convinced otherwise on this.

Reference: Clone Spell

Edit: Didn't see Xndar's reply before I made mine. Hurray that we agree!
Do not hesitate to send me a PM if you:
- Have questions about building, or joining the Dev Team
- Want to join or start an event for the Mercykillers, Fated, or Signers
- You have been waiting more than 2 days for me to post in an IC forum thread

Mick64
No Avatar

Event Master (Extra Info Access)
I feel like this is the kind of thing you should ask the specific DM who's letting you use that clone spell in his or her event, no?
Scripter.

Login: Electrohydra
I play: Anything. Blue Slaad. Lots of things too.
Countless, ever-changing alts.

Serena
Member Avatar
Namer
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Xndar,May 4 2017
07:01 PM
If the original individual has been slain, its soul immediately transfers to the clone, creating a replacement (provided that the soul is free and willing to return). The original’s physical remains, should they still exist, become inert and cannot thereafter be restored to life.

Yup, I know that part, but I felt like it referred to the fact that once the soul is transferred safely, there's no way it can be "duplicated" by re-raising the original body as well while the clone is alive (Be mindful the clone itself is considered "inert" while the soul is lodged elsewhere).

My question was, what happens if the clone dies as well, thus freeing again the soul? Does it change anything? Isn't the original body still enough connected to the soul, to some extent, to allow it being raised again?
Serena
+1 GMT

Posted Image

Grendel
Member Avatar
Blood
[ *  *  *  * ]
As a personal curiosity vaguely related to the subject; is there anything in PnP that allows for transference of the soul from one vessel to another that doesn't normally house it and once belonged to something else, similar to Magic Jar allowing you to possess another creature, but on a more permanent basis?

I've seen a few special abilities by Possessor Demons and things of that sort that achieve the effect and I think there's a Psion power that does exactly this thing, but I'm curious if it's possible for people to go around stealing bodies and living through the ages as different creatures. Magic Jar as I've read seems more of a temporary effect and doesn't truly award you the possessed body as your own. The next nearest thing I've seen is Reincarnate, but that's pretty random in what you get.

Nerull
Member Avatar
I'm not Evil, I'm morally Ambiguous.
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Oh I'm so glad you've asked this question.

May I present, Immortality.

I've been waiting to post this image forever. Enjoy.

Posted Image
Kapaneus

D&D 3.5 pdfs
D&D Knowledge Source
Special <COLOR> Text Codes
The Compendium of Roleplay Guides

Serena
Member Avatar
Namer
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
If only... x°D
Well, we go by 3.5 here, so no superbabies for us (I'm not even that sorry about it) but I can't help but notice that in 5th edition they did specify what I was already guessing:

Quote:

The original creature’s physical remains, if they still exist, become inert and can’t thereafter be restored to life, since the creature’s soul is elsewhere.
Serena
+1 GMT

Posted Image

Grendel
Member Avatar
Blood
[ *  *  *  * ]
@Nerull, Pretty informative, but a few flaws, namely that on SCOD I've heard that Wish/Miracle are explicitly out of reach for us plebeian players, though that's purely based on anecdotal retellings. Also, not sure why you'd use Wish to cast Clone when you can just cast Clone; Clone only costs you <5,000 GP, the real killer is that time period waiting for the body to successfully grow to maturity. Also, I think that's the 5e version; the 3.5 version is far more obnoxious since it causes some effects like stat drain and level loss, as well as the Clone deteriorating after reaching maturity meaning you either have to preserve it somehow or make new ones.

3.5's Clone also doesn't have an option of making it younger than the original, so no old-age opt out there, either. TL;DR, would work in 5e, not so much on SCOD where we go off 3.x and Wish/Miracle is disabled as far as I'm aware. Any other possibilities for immortality/body snatching out there?

DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · Ask a DM · Next Topic »
Add Reply