Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Direct Connect: scod.game-server.cc
NWN List
Welcome to the forums of Sigil: City of Doors. | New update 2/26/18 - read the update notes here!
Welcome to Sigil: City of Doors. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Multi-Quote Post on Multi-Quote Post off
Add Reply
Zoroastrian Angels
Topic Started: May 5 2017, 12:37 PM (268 Views)
Member Avatar

Wiki Contributer
So, the server and D&d canon material often provide oriental deities, in particular from India and East Asia, as possible patrons for PCs.

In no instance however there was anything related to the ancient beliefs of the Persian people.

The only adaptation of it is a very old homebrew from the Tiefling Exultation:http://web.archive.org/web/20091026215152/...974/persian.htm

(Along with it there are also adaptation for other real world pantheons, such as Mayan and Inuit for example)

The only reference to Persian powers in canon material is to Ahriman, the evil god, which in canon is said to be one of the parts of the World Serpent opposed to Jazirian and it is another name by which Asmodeus is known.

Now the question is: would it be possible to play a character whose culture or whose allegiance is to a power similar to Ahura Mazda if not to it directly? In particular I had in mind a deva inspired to Zoroastrian angels, who stands for the prevalence of spirit over the (evil) matter.

What is the DM's opinion of how I could play such a character without introducing incompatible lore? Are there deities compatible with such a character concept?

Well, if not I can always just play a deva of Pelor, but I guess there is no harm in asking. :)

Thanks in advance!

edit: after further research I discovered that in Deities and Demigods for the third edition there was an appendix with examples of mysteric, monotheistic and, most importantly, dualistic cults.

The religion brought as example "Following the Light" seems a decent reproduction of a religious system comparable to Zoroastrianism or Manichaeism. I wonder then if Elishar and Toldoth are present in Planescape and if a character could follow them. I remain interested in the enquiry about Persian powers, though I add this as an alternative or a possibility.
PnP, Pencil-and-paper: the term refers to the ancient tools that were available to early roleplaying humankind. The pencil was a long piece of wood that contained a soft, staining, carbon-based material called graphite encased inside. Early roleplaying humans would scrape the pencil across the surface of paper. Paper was the term used to describe an early form of random access memory, consisting of pressed tree pulp that was smooth and designed to easily absorb the scrapings of pencil graphite.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
Member Avatar
Mistress of the Toolset / Player-Side Admin
I don't think there would be a problem with playing this type of character in Planescape. Our setting is pretty friendly to different philosophic interpretations of the D&D Cosmology, so lore-wise I think you're ok.

I'm not sure on the deity front.

I had no idea that Deities and Demigods 3.0 had a part on dualistic systems, though. That is very cool!
Do not hesitate to send me a PM if you:
- Have questions about building, or joining the Dev Team
- Want to join or start an event for the Mercykillers, Fated, or Signers
- You have been waiting more than 2 days for me to post in an IC forum thread
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  * ]
I could offer some interpretations to this and state some things concerning planescape (Since the Zoroastrian Mythos is one I really like)

One route is to explain Ahura Mazda and Ahriman is polar Overdeities much like Ao for the Forgotten Realms setting, and having the Amesha Spentas and the Devas be individual powers.

Conversely you could try to fit them into aspects that fit the Celestial Hebdomad, Arch Devils/Demon Lords or whatnot. - Planescape is such a large and vast setting with infinite possibilities that there's lots of possible ways to incorporate them without breaking lore, especially if you construct them as part of a homebrewed prime world.
« Previous Topic · Ask a DM · Next Topic »
Add Reply