Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Direct Connect: scod.game-server.cc
NWN List
Announcements
Having issues with downloading the module? Check here!
Welcome to Sigil: City of Doors. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Multi-Quote Post on Multi-Quote Post off
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Torment Tides Of Numenera?; What do you think?
Topic Started: Aug 14 2017, 06:14 PM (377 Views)
Pellease
No Avatar
Greybeard
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Hopefully, we can keep this spoiler free please.

I haven't bought the game, instead, I've been shifting through reviews and those look like conversations between a LG archon and a Demogorgon.

People either seem to love the new game or absolutely hate it and think it's trash.

Have any of you played it? What do you think?
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Mr_Otyugh
Member Avatar
You can't make everyone happy, you aren't pizza.
Dungeon Master
I've played it. It's clearly a more narrative driven game with a load of text to go through, if you're fine with dealing with a text overload with a bit of game in the mix, then you might enjoy it.

I did not enjoy it, but that was largely because the setting itself didn't immerse me, it's practically a technology + magic mixture in a strange unclean world. Which just doesnt' do it for me. I can see why many others would be however.

I'm inclined to give it another go after some time though.
Time Zones - Alignments - Name Generator
NWN 2 Mechanics - PnP Mechanics - Dice Roller
Character Builder - 2nd edition Monster Database - Monster Finder
In-case of problems: Click Here
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Pellease
No Avatar
Greybeard
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Yeah, I figured it'd e like a novel. Just not sure I want to spend 50 on a novel.

EM_Stormbringer
Member Avatar

Event Master
I backed it and loved it, unlike many backers that were pretty disappointed or angry because a lot was driven by unrealistic expectations coming from nostalgia. I would recommend it if: you like that kind of weird setting, you like good writing and lots of it, you like resolving quests without having to fight for most of the duration of the game (some choices are pretty smart its one of those rare few games that don't expect you to act like a murder hobo) and lastly you shouldn't be specifically nostalgic of Planescape Torment and expecting a game similar to it, it isn't its its own different thing.
I'm taking request for events via PM and I'm also available on the discord.

Emanon
No Avatar
Prime
[ *  * ]
Torment's story was fantastic, it's interface style... not so much (imo). A game based on that style? Eh, I've been steering clear.

Now if you told me it had Torment's writers and Baldur's Gates interface style, I'd be there!

Rayanne
Member Avatar
Greybeard
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
I backed it.
In the end, I played it for about 3-4 hours, got disappointed with the setting and mechanics and haven't touched it since.
My own fault for intentionally not reading anything about the game(besides the backer emails) in order to avoid spoilers, I guess.
The beginning was especially horrible, in my opinion. Too much dystopian sci-fi in my fantasy game. D:
LFRP

cryptc
Member Avatar
Advisor
Admin
Rayanne,Aug 14 2017
09:52 PM
I backed it.
In the end, I played it for about 3-4 hours, got disappointed with the setting and mechanics and haven't touched it since.
My own fault for intentionally not reading anything about the game(besides the backer emails) in order to avoid spoilers, I guess.
The beginning was especially horrible, in my opinion. Too much dystopian sci-fi in my fantasy game. D:

Pretty much the same, but I've read a numenera novel, so I do know the world somewhat. The game just didn't hook me quickly enough.

I do plan to try returning to it again at some point.
"One of the most curious statements I've seen on this list is that PlaneScape is a logical world. I must have erred. I was trying to create a world that defied logic." - David 'Zeb' Cook

rapsam2003
Member Avatar
Warlock
Tester
Rayanne,Aug 14 2017
03:52 PM

I mean, the game creators were pretty open about the fact that it was using a different setting and system than PST. :nod:
Morthos: Athar Cambion, Warlock

Posted Image

Er_Nano_Infame
Member Avatar
EL NANO!!
Tester
i played it a bit, not becuase i didnt like it but because i dont have much time for all the reading, but i didnt mind the setting and apparently even if you fail a certain action it may still bring interesting results , so the tips suggested.
you have a percentage of success for actions (fights included) based on your skill rank which you can increase by spending daily points in this or that stat.
can't say much about the story, didnt proceed much
i'd buy it if around 20 bucks or less, can say this much for the few i've played
Maewind:''That's still plant-hating! That makes you a plant racist!''

Lucelle Vand'hovar: ''Miss Maewind, i assure you, the plants started this conflict.''

Nienna: ''Razorvine is hardly a plant, in her defense.''

Posted Image

Born2BeWild
No Avatar

Tester
Finished it, great read but lame fights. for me divinity original sin>tides>pillars.
Green Bean

Cadence
Member Avatar
"Act. Do. Be." -Factol Rhys of the Transcendent Order
Dungeon Master
Has anyone played "Tyranny" by Obsidian? As a Torment fan, I really enjoyed it as well. Combat was meh - very much like Pillars of eternity- but then again not really playing for the combat.

Rayanne
Member Avatar
Greybeard
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
I really like the premise. Playing as the Bad Guys? Awesome!
Without going into too much detail, I really liked most of the game. The story, the setup, the magic-crafting, the world. The writing was... Eh. It's basically just your basic, standard hero's story reskinned with an evil twist. You're still doing almost exactly the same thing you would in a Good Guy game, the only difference is the dialogue. My largest gripe with the game was being forced to pick a side between two subordinate, bitchy and child-like faction leaders. :P
I was hoping to be able to play a loyal Fatebinder that served Kyros without having to align with one of her lesser subjects.
Currently waiting for them to release an expansion before I resume my playthrough. I haven't reached the end yet, but I've read that the ending was not as good as it could have been, and I'm kind of hoping they will fix that with the expansion.
LFRP

Mr_Otyugh
Member Avatar
You can't make everyone happy, you aren't pizza.
Dungeon Master
Cadence,Aug 23 2017
02:57 PM
Has anyone played "Tyranny" by Obsidian? As a Torment fan, I really enjoyed it as well. Combat was meh - very much like Pillars of eternity- but then again not really playing for the combat.

I really enjoyed Tyranny, I think it was better than Pillars of Eternity. Ending of it felt rushed, but overall it was a great experience to me. It's nice how it turns things around by making it really difficult to be a "good guy".
Time Zones - Alignments - Name Generator
NWN 2 Mechanics - PnP Mechanics - Dice Roller
Character Builder - 2nd edition Monster Database - Monster Finder
In-case of problems: Click Here
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Cadence
Member Avatar
"Act. Do. Be." -Factol Rhys of the Transcendent Order
Dungeon Master
I've completed a playthrough, and I'm doing a second as a completely different character and I have found the choice and the interactiveness just as good as Torment. (Pillars of Eternity on the other hand, I found a bit boring). Granted, I think Torment makes for better overall writing, Tyranny is definitely among my favorites now.

Pellease
No Avatar
Greybeard
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
How buggy is Torment Tides of Numeria?

I bought Tyranny cause it was the cheaper option but I've already hit two game breaking bugs that have cost me hours in wasted play time. So now I hardly want to go on for fear I'm just going to hit another ridiculous bug.

Now I'm scared to buy Torment which is even newer for fear I'll just run into more bugs.

ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Create a free forum in seconds.
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Limbo (Random discussions) · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: