Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Direct Connect: scod.game-server.cc
NWN List
Announcements
Welcome to the forums of Sigil: City of Doors. | New update 5/28/18 - read the update notes here!
Welcome to Sigil: City of Doors. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Multi-Quote Post on Multi-Quote Post off
Add Reply
Improved Animal Companions
Topic Started: Apr 5 2018, 09:29 PM (177 Views)
Raith
No Avatar
Clueless
[ * ]
Is the feat worth taking? Or rather is there a particular companion choice that better than the others?

I recently picked it up to discover that the improved companion (I went with shadow mastiff) has worse stats than my vanilla one (tiger). Lower strength, lower dex (and therefore lower AC), same amount of sneak damage, etc.... It does gain HiPS, which should be great... except it doesn't seem to use it very effectively . It also gains higher constitution, but I doubt I'm alone in considering CON to be the least effective defensive stat on its own.

All in all companions seem to be pretty good glass cannons, but as the name implies are very difficult to keep alive. Does that ever improve or does it take micromanagement to keep them around and clawing/biting/kicking?

Finally are their stats and abilities listed anywhere? I can't seem to find any information in general on the forums or wiki.

Regardless I wanted to say that I've been enjoying the server and thanks for reading :)
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Cenerae
Member Avatar

Tester
I selected the Axebeak for my druid and it was a straight upgrade over the dog companion I had before.

Came with some SR, but no tricks. Straight melee damage from it.

Rayanne
Member Avatar
Greybeard
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Which class are you?
It's my impression that animal companions aren't worth it unless you're a druid/spellcaster, or otherwise have access to a lot of buff wands/items.
LFRP

Raith
No Avatar
Clueless
[ * ]
I'm full druid so far so I certainly have buff options.

And thank you for the tip on axebeaks, maybe I'll try that one out next remake.

Cenerae
Member Avatar

Tester
So you have an idea of how good it is, I dug out an older screenshot for you of the axebeak under full buffs as a level 24 druid with the epic companion feat. No, it is not a high quality one. :P

Posted Image

iirc when she reached 25 it gained another 2 hit dice and +3 AC with it alongside the other benefits, so it can certainly be a strong damage source. It doesn't handle fear auras very well though, and it falls easily if it blunders off into a pack of stuff alone.

Raith
No Avatar
Clueless
[ * ]
Ah okay, think I'm getting the picture then. Maybe poorly used HiPS is the best choice after all then as far as defensive options go. My companion often shows up late to fights because it attempts to sneak its way everywhere (and is therefore less likely to get mobbed without awkward micromanagement due to poor pet controls).

Thank you for the screenshot though, it gives me a much better idea of what's available!

« Previous Topic · Builds and Build Discussions · Next Topic »
Add Reply