Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Direct Connect: scod.game-server.cc
NWN List
Announcements
Welcome to the forums of Sigil: City of Doors. | New update 5/28/18 - read the update notes here!
Welcome to Sigil: City of Doors. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Multi-Quote Post on Multi-Quote Post off
Add Reply
Ranger builds
Topic Started: Jul 24 2018, 04:48 PM (137 Views)
Izariel
No Avatar
Prime
[ *  * ]
So trying to figure out a perfect strength rsnger build for two weapon fighting. He's an Eladrin ranger.

Aside from ranger 21, does anyone have any suggestions for survivability and just flat out breakjng stuff with stupid damage output?
Edited by Izariel, Jul 24 2018, 04:50 PM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

TheShadowWithen
Member Avatar
Greybeard
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Main thing to think about is how you want to keep alive, you will either want to rely on stealth or find a method of gaining AC

Lucadia
Member Avatar

Builders/scripters
Eladrin meaning your not getting ranger hips for a long time either.
Posted Image

Cenerae
Member Avatar

Tester
If you want to slam on even more damage, work EDM into the build. That would also give you the option to take a 2nd cleric level and get divine shield, for a defensive option.

You're going to end up defensively bankrupt as a str based dualwielder though, so I would think of ways to prop that up somehow.

Lucadia
Member Avatar

Builders/scripters
Enchanting system allows for shield ac on weapons. So they make a good off hand weapon.
Posted Image

silinrul357
Member Avatar

Event Master
Note this disclaimer above anything else: I'm speaking from a PvE perspective, because I don't give a hootenany to build super-power or for PvP.

Probably my primary main character on this server is a STR based ranger, but he also has a respectable DEX. The good news is he's decent at hitting things, though certainly not the best. The bad news? He's also decent at getting hit, and that is going to be your primary trade-off point here with a STR ranger. The more you want to hit stuff, the more you're probably going to get hit too.

Now in my case, I offset this by changing his build up a bit. He doesn't get ranger 21 stuff which does make me sad, but his livability went up considerably, as a dip or two of shadowdancer levels allowed him to hide -anywhere-, not just in outdoor areas, and that can, and will, save your life if you use it correctly. Obviously the tradeoff is he doesn't hit as hard.

Ranger spells can be nice here and there but they will not help you much. WIS is nice for detecting things, but if that's not important to you, give it up and focus on your STR first, then DEX and CON.

If you want Ranger 21 with Eladrin, you're going to need to play this even more careful because, as Luca said, HiPS will be coming much later. It's my personal opinion you do in fact not need that EDM, because while it will help, CHA is a stat that just will not be important to you. This is debatable of course, but it's my personal opinion that favored enemy power attacks put on more than enough hurt to kill your enemies respectably. I can take on just about anything in the abyss or pandemonium, minus big bosses, and usually have them all dead in short order. Watch your health though, because your AC isn't going to be great, so make liberal use of that HiPS.

TheShadowWithen
Member Avatar
Greybeard
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Shameless plug for my Two Weapon Defense buff idea to help ease issues with this kind of build
:thumbs:

Oreles
Member Avatar
Blood
[ *  *  *  * ]
I'd say as a ranger you'd want to build Str & Wis or Str & Dex.

If you went Str/Wis...

• Take one level of Monk, That gives you access to +5ac monk boots without UMD and let's you benefit more from the fourth level ranger spell Owl's Insight.
  • Spend some points on both Wis and Dex at creation if you just wanted to focus on maxing your AC.
  • Take Zen archery and carry a bow. With that wisdom boost you can still hit with a bow and doing damage as the enemy runs towards you is a great way to get hit less.

That should add about ~+10 AC there?

But Eladrin can't take Monk due to alignment... :(

Lucadia
Member Avatar

Builders/scripters
Owls insight on ranger is currently busted and will not give the same modifier as druid does.
Posted Image

Izariel
No Avatar
Prime
[ *  * ]
Thank you everyone for your insight and things. most appreciated.

Capitalizing AC is obviously important. With armor (disregarding the the enhancement) maximizes at 8 unless we utilize Padded or full plate. As a Ranger, this limited to padded, assuming the ranger can pull off 28 Dexterity to fill that up. After that, it would be best to be an archer ranger.

So this caps the AC with dex at 8, with one exception, and that being the singular mithril chain shirt, which caps it, with dex, at 10. The issue with that shirt is that it comes with true strike and not something fun like the 10 hide and the 10 MS that help with stealth and other ranger abilities.

The Monk idea, I think, is really solid. Assuming you can get a wisdom score over 18 (not that hard). As an Eladrin I can take a single level of Bralani (Rprc) and get 1 strength and 2 AC that stacks with everything else. Meaning that in order to off set this the Wisdom score would have to be now 22 in order to offset what can be achieved through other means. Not having to take UMD is great (because that is a lame cheese) but without UMD you can not have dodge boots of any real quality. But as being a monk or having 10 UMD, this remains moot as the AC benefit is the same all the way around.

So to TL,DR the above, Arcane Archer shirt, 10 UMD and 1 Bralani Level = 12 AC.

+5 Enhancement, +5 Natural, +5 defelction, and +5 Dodge + 10 basic AC = 37 AC, 38 with the natural AC (stacking) that comes with Eladrin. The Nice thing about Bralani levels is Tumble is a class skill, so at max level with that is 30 tumble so 3 more Dodge AC. Difficult to obtain properly, but it can happen. So standing ac is 41.

Combat Expertise helps, and a weapon with shield AC helps as well, bringing the maximum AC before outside buffs and/or outside influences to 52.

Anything I missed?

« Previous Topic · Builds and Build Discussions · Next Topic »
Add Reply